(note: probably only two of our readers will understand this post)
What?
No more Cafe Classical?
No more Rush Hour Relief?
No more Great Wall of Composers?
No more one-oh-three-Commercial-Free?
No more Classical Countdown???
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Ah, cruel, cruel world! What have you done with Washington's Good Music Station?
Farewell WGMS!
hello, classical weta
*SIGH* Even though there's still good music on the radio, I'm going to miss the radio personalities. They were half the reason I listened to WGMS. Although it wasn't quite the same since Dennis Owens left. He was a true gem. (you know anyone who calls his wife "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has gotta be good) But in the linked article, Dennis made an excellent point -- that people don't listen to Classical music on the radio b/c it's boring -- not the music, but the presentation. I loved listening to WGMS b/c the music was good (the program director had good taste) and the DJs were fun to listen to. I have to say I don't have the same confidence in WETA. I don't think public radio station personalities are allowed to have fun.
Oh, so that's why the radio played rock music every time I turned it on. I was so disappointed that we started listening to cds again. Veggie Tales is starting to drive me crazy!
ReplyDeleteOh, that's sad. I don't get why the radio station "with the longest-running music format in the nation" would suddenly change. It seems like they had a good thing going.
ReplyDeleteConcerning personalities, I know exactly what you mean. The main reason I listen to commercial-ridden K-Mozart over commercial-free KUSC is because of the personalities. I get such a kick out of listening to Rich Capparela and John Santana and things such as the "morning Sousalarm". I think they're paid to be boring on KUSC.