Basically I followed all the instructions on the back of a box of pectin (found in the baking section of the grocery store, usually next to the artificial sweeteners). But here are all the steps, illustrated!
First, fill a ginormous stock pot with water and heat it up, and put the kettle on to boil. Then wash everything -- jars, lids, utensils -- in hot, soapy water. (Two tablespoons of dishsoap not required, unless you accidentally knock the dispenser into the sink.)
Place the rinsed jars in the hot water. Keep warm.
Place the lids in a small bowl and pour the freshly boiled water over them.
A note about my ginormous pot -- I bought this pot specifically for the purpose of jam-making, before we got our current lovely stainless steel set. I didn't want anything expensive, because I knew I'd probably tarnish the bottom with the high heats I'd be using (there are permanent jar-rings on the inside). It serves the purpose quite nicely. I know you can get special canning pots and racks and things, but I'm going for real low-tech here.
So, on to the next step: preparing your fruit of choice. In this case, farmer's market strawberries. You may need to section off the desired fruit and keep it in a specially refrigerated safe with at least 3 types of padlocks, preferably with a voice-activated security option. Or just threaten to cut out the tongues of anyone who TOUCHES the jam fruit. (Works for us.) Wash strawberries thoroughly, de-stem, slice. (Mr. Pickles very helpfully did this step.) I guarantee that the smaller the pieces, the less lower arm soreness from mashing the next day.
Next, mash fruit with potato masher. I recommend wearing an apron. Unless you're wearing strawberry red.
Measure your mashed fruit and add it to another stock pot -- not as ginormous as the first, but still big. You'll see why later.
As far as quantities goes, I found that 3 of those green containers above made exactly 6 cups mashed, which is what I needed for the lower-sugar jam recipe I followed. (The more sugar recipe required 5 cups.) I think the green containers were 1 1/2 pints, possibly 2, but don't quote me on that.
Next, I recommend cleaning up your counter a little bit, if your kitchen is like mine and has about 2 square feet of counter space. Even if you have room to stash stuff out of the way, you'll still want to get your sugar and pectin all set to go.
Okay, let's make some jam! Add your pectin to the mushed fruit of choice. Stir it up well.
Then turn your burner to high, STIRRING CONTINUOUSLY, until the mix is bubbling even while you're STIRRING. This is called a hard boil. STIR CONSTANTLY. I cannot emphasize this enough. If you stop stirring for even 10 seconds, some of the jam will scorch and then your whole batch will taste like burned strawberries and even though the rest of your family will claim not to notice and still devour the jam like a pack of ravenous wolves (do ravenous wolves like strawberry jam?) you will still be able to taste the scorchiness -- you will even be able to smell it on their breath. Trust me on this. DON'T STOP STIRRING!!
It also starts boiling way faster than you'd think, so it's not like you'll be standing there for hours.
Okay, now that your fruity mix (say it with an Irish accent -- it sounds better) has attained the coveted hard boil status, add your sugar allatonce, while STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
Once again, STIR quickly to get the sugar all mixed in, then STIR STIR STIR more until it's bubbling again. Oh, I almost forgot, while you're STIRRING, set your timer for one minute.
I recommend a 3-foot-long wooden spoon for this part. And standing back. It's pretty... um, intense.
As soon as your timer goes off, remove the jam (yay! it's jam now!) from the heat, and give it a couple more stirs as it settles down. Since I only have one large burner (a pox on the designer), I have to switch my giant, heavy pots, so now the ginormous pot is on the large burner.
Yay! All ready to can!
Alrighty, so using your tongs, you take a jar out of the hot water, ladle some jam (which will be very liquidy) into it, leaving some room at the top. My recipe says 1/8 inch, but that seems small to me so I usually go halfway up the threads.
Next, wipe off the rim and threads with the cloth to get all the jam you spilled, you messy thing, you.
Then pick a lid out of the bowl of scalding water.
So, set lid on jar, twist band on until it's "fingertip tight" which I assume means as tight as you can comfortably get it with your fingertips. Remember that the jar, which has been sitting in hot water all this time, is now full of boiling hot jam, so you will want to use a cloth or pot holder or something to hold the jar while you're screwing on the bands. (My cloth-hand is currently holding the camera.)
Now, using tongs again, gently lift jar back into hot water, pick out another empty jar, lather, rinse, repeat.
When all your jars are filled and in the pot, make sure there's enough hot water to cover them by at least at inch. Then cover up the ginormous pot and crank up the heat. Bring the water to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer, and "process" the jars for 10 minutes. I honestly don't know what it's supposed to do, but I'm a good little sheep so I follow directions.
I had two more jars (plus a little smidgen) than fit in the ginormous pot, so I kept them in the now-slightly-less-than-scalding water until they could have a turn at processing too. The full jars, that is. The little smidgen I put in another jar in the fridge for immediate consumption.
Now is a good time to clean up the carnage.
After 10 minutes, turn off the heat, remove the jars from the water, tipping them slightly to pour off the water from the tops, and set them on a towel where they can sit undisturbed for 24 hours.
Yay! Congratulations! You just made virtual jam with me! Now it's your turn. And send me pictures of your womanly accomplishments! :)
----------
P.S. The best way to get strawberry juice off fabric is with very hot water.
I am in complete awe.
ReplyDeleteWow! I don't know if I'm brave enough to attempt all this...but you did an awesome job! (this reminds me of the "notes from the trenches" style of recipes...!)
-Michelle
Beautifully done! Can I lick the spoon?
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure about the "processing" step, but it might be to (1) kill off any remaining beasties that might cause the jam to spoil; (2) force some air out so that the lids will form a good, tight seal when the remaining air cools and contracts; and/or (3) help the jam finish jelling.
Also, the "foam" you scrape off the top makes a good topping for yogurt (preferably home-made), or ice cream. ;-)
Good job! I just recently got the courage to make jam, and it is really not that hard, but you are right -- all your ducks need to be in a row! I like your tidy ways :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for complimenting me on the quilt -- I loved doing it! God bless!
Wow...looks like a lot of hard work...but I'm sure the results are scrumptious!
ReplyDeleteI will try it someday.
And thanks for the tutorial :-)
ReplyDeleteWhen I get up the courage, and the BIG pot I will come back and reread your post. I will trust you on everything.
Ooh -- good tip on the uses for the foam, Mom! Now I wish I hadn't just chucked it!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I forgot to mention it in the post, but from assembly to clean-up the whole process took about 1 1/2 hrs.
You are amazing! That looks so complicated. I guess you have to do it on weekends so that someone can take care of the 100 things that will need to be done right this instant while you are stirring.
ReplyDeleteI also sympathize with the lack of large burners. we also have but one and I am constantly annoyed by the fact. Every home that has an actual cook in it (there aren't many these days, are there?) needs two at the very least. Two ovens and a washer and dryer that completes an entire load of laundry start to finish in 30 minutes would be nice too!
To be honest, this really isn't brain surgery. I find it funny you all seem to be impressed! I guess we admire things in other people that we haven't tried ourselves. :)
ReplyDeleteHowever, Theresa is right -- I've learned I can't do it a)during the week or b)when I have a new baby -- the 20 or so minutes of stirring require another adult around to redirect the children that will keep insisting on getting underfoot. (This is particularly dangerous due to splattering.) I can't help but wonder, how did Ma Ingalls manage??
Kewl! I was lol at your part about the scorching and the wolves and the breath of your family members.... :)
ReplyDeleteI especially appreciate the tip about setting the lids alternately so they don't nestle - I haven't done this process myself but I have "sort of" watched my mom, and I never thought about that part!
Thank you!
ReplyDelete