Monday, May 18, 2009

It's official.

Summer is officially here.

No, it hasn't gotten hot yet. (knock on wood!)

No, it hasn't passed the solstice yet.

The pools haven't even opened yet!

However, it has begun:

canning! First batch of strawberry jam fresh off the assembly line! (I should have taken a picture BEFORE I cleaned the counter. Miriam was an excellent -- albeit messy -- helper!)

The strawberries came from the local farmer's market and taste like heaven. The jam is beyond yummy (with 7 cups of sugar to 5 cups of fruit, it had better be!!!). Next week I'll try a lower sugar recipe -- I haven't had much success with this in the past, but having the first ingredient in my jam be "sugar" makes me balk every year, and resolve to find a better way! These berries are so good anyway, they shouldn't need so much extra sugar.

My goal is to make a batch of jam from farmer's market fruit almost every weekend while the market lasts (until October). Obviously we'll miss a couple weeks while we're in CA, but that still leaves plenty of other weekends to stock my jam pantry! :)

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, I want to learn how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really not nearly as hard as I had first expected! I just followed the directions on the back of the box of pectin. It does take time to clean, prepare, cook, and process everything -- something mothers have in short supply. I can only do it on weekends when Mr. Pickles is home. I also had to purchase a stock pot large enough to hold all the jars for processing (basically boiling them for 10 mins. to get a good seal, I think). There's special equipment you can get, but I'm cheap. :)

    Maybe one of these days I'll photograph everything and do a tutorial? It is lots of fun (especially all the tasting!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do take pictures and give lessons. I will take notes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps we can make orange marmalade when you are out here? Might be a fun chance to spend time together!

    (We can leave the kids in the care of the dads. Moms need time to play too. =p )

    ~ The Resident Murloc

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to do this sometime. I heard you can prep the jars in the dishwasher. Have you heard that?\
    A tutorial sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete