Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Obsessing

Well, since I've finished read HPDH twice, I've been having fun lurking at HP fansites, especially the Leaky Cauldron, browsing their fan art. Some truly amazing talent there. I came across this one which just made my day:



(you'll probably need to click it to see it clearly)

I'm also allowing myself to visit Jan the Maven's blog -- I tried to avoid it before b/c I didn't want to have anything spoiled! I did end up regretting one visit that I made a while back, b/c a big reveal towards the end of the book ("The Prince's Tale") wasn't as big of a surprise for me as it should have been, since I read a couple of her predictions. But now I'm immersing myself in all the interviews and discussions and dissections to my little heart's content!

J.K. Rowling has done an amazing job. I don't think it's going too far to include her epic with other true myths, such as Tolkein's and C.S. Lewis'. So much of it has the true ring. I admire her for sneaking in so much morality -- hopefully it will rub off on all those unsuspecting, impressionable young minds who have been drinking this stuff in for the last 10 years! :)

3 comments:

  1. Right now I'm reading a book called "Looking for God in Harry Potter." It's really good -- the author, John Granger(!), shows how the Harry Potter series is emphatically Christian. He is also an expert in classical and medieval literature, like Jo Rowling, and explains a lot of the symbolism and references of which I would otherwise have been unaware. As soon as I finish this book, I want to re-read DH, and then the whole series.

    While I was reading the Harry Potter books I was trying to analyze my reaction to them, and figure out why I found them so compelling. I arrived at the same conclusion as Granger -- he points out that it's because Rowling's books echo the Great Story to which we are all hard-wired to resonate. As the series progresses, Harry is forged and purified until he is able to offer himself as a sacrifice of love for his friends -- indeed, for all the people of Hogwarts and the rest of the wizarding world -- even Draco Malfoy. He becomes a true Christ-figure, as all Christians are meant to.

    John Granger has a very good website for adult fans of Harry Potter at http://hogwartsprofessor.com/.

    BTW, are you aware of the claims that the Pope has denounced the Harry Potter books? You can find them at LifeSite.net and studiobrien.com (Michael O'Brien's site -- he wrote "Father Elijah" and other Catholic novels). Turns out the claims are totally bogus. John Granger ably refutes them at http://hogwartsprofessor.com/?p=26. Regina Doman also has an excellent essay on the subject at http://www.zossima.com/harryforcatholics.htm. It seems O'Brien and others are trying to use the Pope for their own purposes. Shame on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry -- I forgot to sign my previous post about John Granger's book, etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I actually just discovered Hogwarts Professor via Jan the Maven's blog -- both are in our sidebar now. I've found a lot of the discussions there very helpful for understanding a lot of the symbolism, especially regarding Arthurian stuff (like, what's a "hallow" anyway?) and what makes an epic hero. Cool stuff. Rowling very obviously received an excellent classical education (hello, Aeschylus?) which makes her books a satisfying read for those of us who recognize some of the symbolism (like the white stag, for instance). She has such a vivid imagination, which is what makes the books feel so real -- you just know the world is completely planned out in her mind. As with Tolkein, you know there's lots of backstory there. I can't wait to read her Potter encyclopedia, whenever that comes out!

    ReplyDelete