
I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager, and Mr. Pickles had never seen it before. We really enjoyed it. The singing was fabulous, the set & costumes were gorgeous, and the pyrotechnics were a nice touch, too. :) It's funny, though -- I think we're so used to realism in movies & such that the bouncy emoting of the stage actors was hard to get used to. For example, I found it annoying that Christine & Raoul kept running back and forth across the stage when they're supposed to be having their big romantic rooftop scene. But I supposed that they have to make all their movements huge for the benefit of those of us sitting up in the nosebleed seats.
A couple days later we watched the recent movie version, and enjoyed that one a lot too. I just couldn't get over the fact that the actress who played Christine was 17 years old. And the Phantom? Mr. Pickles recognized his voice from the trailer for 300. And Minnie Driver made an absolutely fabulous Carlotta. (Now you all have to go put the movie in your queue so you know what I'm talking about!) :) There's something special about seeing it live on stage, though. Having performed on stage myself, in the dim and distant past, I have the highest respect for people who can pull off a flawless performance like that. The amazing thing was that the role of the Phantom and Carlotta were both filled by the understudies, who were amazing. You wouldn't have known if there hadn't been a notice to that effect.
I'm afraid this performance has whetted my appetite for live drama. Let's see, what's coming up at Wolftrap....
What an awesome date. I LOVE Phantom of the Opera. I think I've seen it 3 times now. It never gets old. I have to admit I was slightly annoyed by the movie because the phantom was entirely too attractive. He was the best looking guy in the film which was really not in keeping with his character. I must admit though that he is attractive even when he is ugly. Anyone who can sing "Music of the Night" like he does is bound to put any woman under his spell.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I have all the sheet music for the musical. If you're interested let me know. In fact, I should let you look through all of my sheet music.
Theresa, I had no idea you were such a fan! I have to say I actually preferred the movie's portrayal of the Phantom as less of a complete monster. By making him more human he was more accessible -- and therefore more pitiable. The doe-eyed look of fascination on Christine's face is more understandable when the Phantom is such a stud. Oh, those sideburns! Be still my heart!
ReplyDeleteOoh, I'll have to borrow your music someday! A long time ago a friend lent me her book. I found a lot of pieces rather challenging, even for Intermediate level. The Phantom's theme is great fun to play -- love those chromatic chord progressions! :) And anytime you want to come over to use my piano, feel free!
Another bonus of watching the movie: subtitles. I was barely familiar with the music or lyrics going into the stage presentation. Subtitles at least allowed me to understand what the actors/actresses sang, and it was more enjoyable when I better understood the lyrics.
ReplyDelete