Thursday, January 26, 2006

What Sibling Rivalry?

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. When are Miriam and Katie going to start fighting like cats and dogs? This is what I get most of the time:


"Sisters... sisters... you'll never find two more devoted sisters..."
(Incidentally, this is what I LOVE about having two girls right away. Matching outfits! Thanks, Aunt Rachel!)


storytime

Why is Katie surrounded by fuzzy animals?

Katie & friends

Well, she was having a cranky day, so big sis was trying to cheer her up! (not realizing the fact that the reason Katie was currently fussing was b/c Miriam was upstairs and Katie couldn't get to her...)


what a good sis


well... maybe not


young hooligans


reading

I suppose today was a break in this idyllic representation -- they spent the afternoon grabbing toys from each other and shrieking at each other. Katie is getting more willful as time goes on, sigh...

But even when they "fight," we still have to laugh. The other day Miriam was in the bathroom washing her hands, and we heard her call, "Daddy, can you help me wash my hands? Because I just can't do it... NO, Katie! You're NOT the Daddy!"

In sum, despite their temporary misunderstanding, Miriam is SUCH a good, loving big sister, and Katie just adores her. I think what cinched it for Miriam was the first time Katie toddled over to Miriam, wrapped her arms around her big sis & gave her a big hug, patting her back. Miriam was SO tickled. She said with eyes wide open and a huge smile on her face, "Katie LIKES me! She's giving me lovin's!" For an affectionate & sensitive child, this means a lot to Miriam. Katie's affinity for blowing kisses now has also made a big impression.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT pictures! Thank you for sharing them!

    What do you mean, "When are Miriam and Katie going to start fighting like cats and dogs?" They may not, beyond a certain amount of cranky fussing at each other once in a while. I don't remember that you and your siblings fought much, particularly after we started homeschooling. Although my memory isn't what it used to be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, but the critical difference is that I was one girl alone, and therefore didn't have to deal with another drama queen. :) But you're right -- D, J & I really didn't fight much. Bicker, yes -- but I remember noticing that we all got along much better after homeschooling too. For me, this is one of the major factors in our decision to homeschool our kids: family harmony!

    ReplyDelete