Since we've spent so many Christmases on the road, it's been hard to establish family traditions. In the past it didn't matter so much, but now that Miriam is old enough to remember and understand more things, we want to set the proper tone for the celebration of Christmas. We decided to let Miriam open one gift on Christmas Eve (so she wouldn't go mad from anticipation). Then Christmas morning we all delved into our stockings.

stockings

goodies
Katie knows where the good stuff is -- like any true female, she can detect chocolate a mile away...

hey, wait a minute...

all dolled up
After Mass and breakfast we attacked the presents.
These flutes were a big hit. I also wanted to point out the baked item in my hand -- yes, I made the traditional Christmas morning Pulla. It just wouldn't be Christmas without it!

flutes (and pulla)

Katie's new favorite book

aww, dolly
I just noticed that most of our pictures were of Katie. It's just because she's so darn CUTE in her Santa Baby outfit! :)
Miriam got boatloads of toys and books and movies. Her new favorite movie is...

"Cindalella"
...which she also refers to as "the Cat movie." Apparently mean ol' Rucify made a big impression on her.
All worn out from the present-opening frenzy! (or else suffering from carbo-coma after eating pulla and chocolate for breakfast)

snuggly Grandma
At dinner we had Christmas crackers -- no, not the unleavened kind, the explosive-loaded kind! As required, we all wore the silly hats and told our lame jokes over dinner. I couldn't eat until I had finished assembling my little plastic motorcycle.

Christmas dinner
Our cute-patootie:

little Christmas elf princess
When we returned home, we discovered that Santa had also visited OUR house TOO, while we were gone! Wow! So we got to have Christmas all over again. (at least, the shallow materialistic greedy part) :) Santa brought Miriam a box of dress-up clothes, something she has been craving ever since she was first aquainted with Edy's.

dressed-up girl
Completely accessorized:

Princess Meenum
(personally, I think the high-heels are evil: to be training innocent young things to LIKE instruments of torture!)
Katie enjoyed dismantling her stacking cups to see how much of a mess they would make when she spread them all out.

I love my cups!
Well, after a couple weeks of stepping over/around/on various toys, I finally decided I couldn't stand it anymore and stored away about half their toys -- all the older ones, anyway. I find that they actually play better when they aren't so totally overwhelmed by all their riches. :) This way I can rotate toys as I notice them losing interest in particular ones. I love this comic from Baby Blues.
Stay tuned... more to come!
That comic is too true! Your idea of putting away most of the toys and just having a few out at a time is a good one. Kids really are overwhelmed when there are too many toys to play with. When there are just a few they can focus better on them and I think they enjoy them more. One good suggestion I once heard (I don't remember whether I did this or not myself) was to have something like a lending library for the kids' toys. When they wanted to play with something different from their stash, they could turn in a toy and "check out" another toy. That way they don't get bored with them and have the joy of getting a "new" toy all over again.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do remember having to trade in toys a couple times -- for a while you kept a couple boxes in the garage. I don't remember doing it for an extended period, but I do remember actually enjoying the system -- for one thing, it made our room easier to clean! I definitely plan to use this tactic as the kids get older and amass more loot. (and their grandparents bring them laundry baskets full of toys...) ;)
ReplyDeleteHmmm... (Rolls eyes innocently)
ReplyDelete