Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Day Four of being outnumbered

Hello, Internet! Ahh, it's good to be back. As we were driving home from the hospital on Sunday, it felt like I had been gone for weeks -- like I was coming back from vacation or something. For one thing, Spring has sprung. All the bulbs are up, the flowering trees are in bloom, and there's a green mist on all the branches in the woods. It made for a nice homecoming.

So, day four, and all is well! It's fun getting to know the newest member of our family. So far his personality seems to be the same as it was when he was Inside. When he was still a Bump he seemed to be a very mellow type -- never threw any wild dance parties, like Katie did. :) But he liked his comfort. Whenever I shifted position, like in bed at night, I would feel scrambling movement inside until he settled into another comfy spot. And he would insist on keeping his little feets in my ribs sometimes -- I could never knead them down because that's where they were comfortable, and by gum, that's where they were going to stay! Now that he's joined us outside we get to see all this stuff in action. For the most part, he's a pretty mellow guy. His needs are simple and easily met. He lets us know very decidedly when there's Something Wrong with the Universe (like the evils of Hunger, or Wet Diaper), but the instant we fix it he's happy again. However, should you disturb his comfort and dare to change said diaper, or worse yet, get him DRESSED, oh the horror! Torture! But then you pick him up when you're done and he's instantly calm again. I'm sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop -- for that one night when he wakes up screaming at 2am and can't be consoled, or we're in public and I can't get him latched on and he's hysterical, or something else Mr. Hyde-ish. But for now I'm enjoying his sweetness of temperament. :) He's sleeping on my lap right now -- like Miriam, he loves snuggling and sleeps best next to a warm body. We both LOVE the Moby Wrap. He feels like he's in the womb again, and I've got both hands free. Although I'm equally happy for excuses to sit down & hold the baby for extended periods of time. :)

It's been an adjustment learning how this whole newborn thing works again. For example, yesterday we were trying to leave the house for his first appt. with the pediatrician, and everything that could happen trying to get a baby ready to go somewhere happened. I fed him, but he was extra hungry and took so long that I didn't get lunch; I got him dressed, and then he spit up all over everything; I changed his diaper, but then he had an explosion just as we were trying to leave; then he spit up all over everything again and had to be dressed again. It was pretty ridiculous. Fortunately Mr. Pickles was taking care of the girls, otherwise we would have been much later than 15 minutes. (plus he made a sandwich for me to eat on the way, what a good hubby) It's going to be interesting trying to get everyone out of the house when I'm flying solo! How do all you moms of three do it?!? I'm beginning to understand why all the mothers of large families that I know have such well-developed senses of humor. :)

So far the girls have adjusted really well to having a new baby. For one thing, they're both totally in love with him. They think he's just so adorable, and tell us so. The other night when they were getting ready for bed, I put Joseph down in his crib. Miriam was supposed to be washing up, but she went over to the crib and was just starting at him. After a while Mr. Pickles called to her to remind her of what she was supposed to be doing, and she said, "I know, but he's just SOOOO cute." Melt, my maternal heart! The girls have both been so helpful too -- more than willing to fetch and carry and even help each other out. That's been tremendous. Initially I was concerned the most about Katie being jealous, but of course she's normally so independent that Mommy being occupied most of the time now hasn't seemed to faze her at all. Having Daddy home all the time helps immensely too.

I must say that I am LOVING being not pregnant any more! I never got to the point where I was desperate to get the kid out of me -- I never reached that level of discomfort, thankfully. It was mostly little things that got to me -- like when Joseph dropped, my knees began to suffer separation anxiety. And feeling like my hip bones were going to relax right out of their sockets was getting old. But mostly it got really annoying when I started growing out of even my maternity shirts. Fortunately I managed to keep so busy right up to the very end that I never felt time weighing heavily on my hands.

Now that he's out, however, I'm rediscovering all the joys of non-pregnant life that I had hitherto forgotten. Like taking deep breaths, for example. And hearing out of my left ear again. And being able to use the bathroom at infrequent intervals like a normal person. And being able to see my feet again, or bend over from the waist, or sit with my legs crossed -- just lots of little things. :) But of course, most importantly, I love getting to see the little person whom I've been renting living space to for the last 9 months. He's a total doll baby (complete with full head of hair) and we adore him. I'm sure some of you mothers THINK you may have had the cutest baby ever, but I'm sorry to inform you that you're mistaken. Joseph is by far the most scrumptious and beautiful baby ever to grace our planet with his presence -- and I'm his mother so of course my judgment is completely balanced and impartial.


Mother and Child by William Bouguereau (from art.com)

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Mrs. P.! It makes me miss having babies. (Although I admit I no longer have the energy to take care of three little ones!)

    I'm glad the girls are enjoying their new little brother. Katie may start to feel a little anxiety after the newness wears off. I'm sure you'll find opportunities to spend a little one-on-one time with her (and with Miriam, too), even if they are brief. I used to read to you while I nursed Dave, because you always seemed to need my attention right then.

    Daddy can help here, too. He could take each of the girls out individually for a couple of hours when he's home, say on alternate Saturdays. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate -- even going to the hardware store with Daddy can be special. It's having the attention that matters. The girls just won't want to feel neglected.

    I remember trying to get out of the house with two youngsters and a baby! I used to keep a completely packed diaper bag (including a complete change of clothes for the baby and whoever else might need one) by the front door all the time, so all I had to do was add some snacks and we could grab it and run once everybody was ready. I also learned that a baby with a full tummy was loaded and could go off at any time! Could you make a full-body bib or apron for Joey out of a towel or something to protect from spit-ups?

    Anyway, congratulations again! Enjoy your sweet little son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why couldn't you hear out of your left ear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I guess I should pull out all those cute bibs we have -- that would help keep him presentable in public! :) He's not the best burper, so that makes him really spitty. It's like having a milky volcano.

    Regarding my ear -- one of the characteristics of this pregnancy was that all my soft tissues swelled up, especially in my head. I always felt congested, I coughed a lot even when I wasn't sick, and my left eustachian tube would get plugged up. It was like when you get water in your ear from the shower or swimming, and just can't get it to come out, so everything sounds mushy, except when you breathe or talk, and then it echoes in your head. I got really tired of hearing air rushing around whenever I breathed! It was especially annoying whenever I talked, because it was constantly clearing and plugging up whenever I moved my jaw. I eventually got used to it, but I was still SO happy when it all cleared up the day after Joseph was born -- I think I sweated out about 3 gallons of all those extra fluids that night!

    ReplyDelete