Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Our doll loves dolls

Katie has recently developed a fascination with baby dolls. She's taken to carrying her big sister's dolls around, in addition to her own soft baby dolls. Today she headed over to Miriam's Cabbage Patch doll (with the original name of "Dolly"), making a complaining noise that one could describe as a long, gutteral whine. (Go ahead, try it.) Anyway, I thought something was wrong with Katie when I heard her making this noise, until I realized that she was pretending Dolly was crying, and this is the way Katie cries in her crib when she wants to be rescued. After Katie picked up Dolly like the loving little mother she is, she proceeded to comfort her baby by holding her upside down and smacking her on the face.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting behavior. If she is imitating herself, does that mean she is developing self-awareness? Which, of course, is evidence of a rational non-material soul. Katie's human!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also evidence that girls are little mommies from the very beginning. It's in the genes! (Or rather, it's in the soul.)

    ReplyDelete