Friday, February 10, 2006

The Bear and His Beer

Superbowl Sunday is famous for two things: football and commercials. Sometimes it is more well known for the latter than the former.

For Superbowl XL I decided to pull out the rabbit ears to see if I could muster enough reception for a watchable picture. I wanted to watch the game because the Steelers were playing. The Steelers are known as a Catholic team. While we typically don't get any reception in the basement--will wonders never cease--I was able to pick up the game. It was a sign from God that he wanted me to watch the game.

Miriam wanted to watch the game with me. I didn't object to spending more time with her, but I was careful about the commercials we watched. Many companies try to at least maintain some level of decency in their commercials, but I was still vigiliant. As you probably know, most companies pull out all of the stops when making Superbowl commercials. Miriam really liked the Whopperettes (link will take you to Google video). I thought it was one of the weirdest commercials I had ever seen. However, after seeing the commercial Miriam said, "Daddy, I want to see the dancing ladies again." I'll have to take her to Google video. She also liked the preview for the new Pixar movie Cars. She was a little disconcerted about some of the Bud Light commercials. However, there was one Bud Light commercial about a bear, some campers, and a beer that stuck with her. The bear was an angry bear, and he was eventually appeased by a Bud Light.

I didn't think much about until the following Tuesday. As we were getting ready for the day Miriam picked up one of her stuffed bears and let out a tremendous growl. I asked her what the bear wanted, and she said, "The bear wants some beer!" What made it even more amusing was that she used her John Paul II bear.

3 comments:

  1. That is sooooo funny! I'm laughing out loud. What a little cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure John Paul II is laughing and thoroughly enjoying such beautiful and sweet innocence. I can see him laughing. He so enjoyed/enjoys little ones. Thanks Dad and Miriam!This is just so funny and precious! Also Mrs. Pickles, thanks again for all the blog info. I so appreciate it. Thank the Lord for the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute! You never know what will stick in their little minds. I was constantly surprised and delighted by the way little children processed inputs and came up with their own ideas.

    By the way, if it's a Polish bear, would he rather have vodka? Or maybe pierogis!

    ReplyDelete