Ahem.

My quandary was this: I was trying to find x,

where W, H, and L are all known.
I had a dim memory of figuring out angles and sides and such of triangles back in the dark ages of High School Geometry. So with the resident Math Genius' help I learned that all I needed to do was find this angle:
To do that, first I had to isolate this triangle,
to find angle A.

In my particular quandary,W=14
H=18
L=27
To get to the triangle, I had to chop them up.

Since the difference between 7 and 9 is 2 (or, as Miriam would say, "The difference? 9 is bigger than 7. Duhhh.") we now know that the length of the short side, or b, is 2. Since we know that the length of side a is 9 (because I said so), and this is a right triangle, we can use our magic wands to calculate the angle A. (I always liked working with sines and cosines...)
Okay, okay, so I know this is elementary to all you other Math Geniuses out there, but I want you all to be impressed that I slogged through all this even though it's been *cough*fifteenyears*cough* since I even LOOKED at a geometry book. (Some might argue that this is proof that mathiness is in the genes... "Destiny, destiny, no escaping destiny!")
As I was saying.
After browsing and hunting around and obviously procrastinating, I finally found the most awesome website for non-mathy-geniuses like me: an online side and angle calculator! God bless the Internet. So we enter our values into the magic boxes, and voila!

We have the magic angle number: 77.47. I will annoy all the precise mathy types and round down to plain 77. Because I'm like that.
So now we go back to our trapezoid and make another triangle and plug in the values.

Once again consulting our magic 8-ball website, abra cadabra, and we learn that the new b = 6.
Now we add everything up:

6 + 7 = 13
13 x 2 =26
x = 26! Doesn't that make you feel all warm and happy inside?
So now I'm sure you're all just DYING to know WHY I just HAD to find the length of one side of a trapezoid, when I should have been cleaning my dining table. (Which did eventually get clean, by the way.) The answer is that I wanted to make a wrap skirt that fit ME and not a preteen girl with no hips. Someone told me about an online pattern, so I used it to make myself a couple wrap skirts, but was grossly dissatisfied with their fit. It was way too tight in the hips and way too large in the waist -- i.e. ill-proportioned. The formula on the website was this:
Measure your waist, and add one half (since one panel will overlap in the front).
30 + 15 =45
Then multiply by .3 (since you want to divide that measurement approximately into thirds) to find the width of the top of one panel, or W above.
45 x .3 = 13.5 (round up to 14 -- there I go again!)
Now the online pattern then went on to suggest that one multiply by .4 to find the width of the bottom hem.
45 x .4 = 18
(You also add 3 inches to everything for seam allowances, but we're going to ignore that for now.)
Now if I followed that formula, it would make the panel look like this:

which, using all that magic again, would mean that H up above would equal about 15 (trust me on this one, unless you REALLY want to do the math yourself), which fits a 33-inch hip (going backwards: 15 / .3 x .66) -- which means that to fit that skirt pattern, one would have to be proportioned like a Barbie doll!!
I happen to be a REAL woman, thus the formula to find my hem width is closer to x .6 (I kind of wonder where the pattern designer came up with her infamous x .4? I tested it out on Miriam, and her magic formula for a good fit is x .5).
So the moral of the story, kids, is to make sure you're paying attention in high school math classes -- you never know when you're going to use it later!
Good girl! Aren't you glad I made you do all that math? (You don't have to thank Dad and me for the genes - that was entirely beyond our control.)
ReplyDeleteI used to use geometry all the time for sewing - it's incredibly practical knowledge.
I found x!
ReplyDeletex <- There it is.
Wow! again I'm super impressed. I'm not sure I'm smart enough for this homeschooling thing. It's a comfort to know that maybe we could coop at some point and have you teach my kids math. Except I'm not sure what I could give you in return. You already know how to do everything I do!
ReplyDeleteOne aspect that Mrs. P forgot to mention was that she actually remembered some of that stuff about radians and degrees and their differences. That came up because Open Office (and maybe Excel) defaults to radians, which is very confusing when you expect degrees.
ReplyDeleteAs I showed my dear wife some of the calculations in a spreadsheet she had that look of determination. Even if I told her the answer she was going to figure it out for herself and understand it no matter how long it took. ("I must succeed!!" --for those who know) Hooray for that humanities training!
Joe, I couldn't access the site from work, but I think we have the same thing hung up on the bulletin board in our office. There are some similar algebra follies associated with it.
Theresa, you just need some review and a few good projects to jog the memory and apply what has laid dormant in your brain since you tried to jettison it after sophmore year geometry. I'll make up a geometry and algebra review for you.
Hon, good for you! We should have a toga party to celebrate geometry and the Greeks! :p
Well, if you knew a = 9, couldn't you just have calculated it by scaling? If H grew by 4 inches over W at a distance of 9 inches (along L), then at a distance of 27 inches along L (3x as far), x should be 3x4=12 inches longer than W, or 26 inches. In one-liner programmer syntax:
ReplyDeletex = (H - W) / a * L + W
I never became fully fluent in sines and cosines, and still suffer from a residual distrust of these "magic" functions. I used to write all my Basic programs to precalculate tables for sines and cosines for each angle from 1 to 360 because looking it up in the table was faster than calling the sin() and cos() functions on the fly.