Friday, July 17, 2009

The CA trip, Part I

The Wedding

This was the main reason why we traveled out to California this summer:
to see my cousin Timi get hitched! Timi is the daughter of my Uncle Ranger Dave (to distinguish him from the other Uncle Dave when we were kids), who is in fact a park ranger in California. I still remember the campfire songs he taught us when we'd go camping, particularly Old Lady Leary's song.

N-E-way, they make a good-looking group, don't they? Timi and her Nick looked SO happy. The wedding was just beautiful and the sermon was awesome. It's so heartening being able to attend weddings of family that you just KNOW are getting off to a good start.

Speaking of good looking... (alternately titled: like father, like daughter)


two handsome cuties

At one point while we were waiting at the reception for things to get going, Miriam came up to me, somewhat put out by the fact that the bride wasn't talking to her (by which I understood that she wasn't receiving her undivided attention). I told her to go up to Aunt Timi and tell her something nice ("Oh, Aunt Timi, I just LOVE your dress!") and then ask her a question, and that would GUARANTEE that she would get a response.

I guess it worked. (Just love the back of Timi's dress here.)


Babies, especially male babies, especially male babies by the name of Joseph, do not understand that you have to wait for the caterers to be ready before you can eat.

The food was awesome! It was funny -- this was SUCH a California reception! The meal served was tostadas with a variety of fillings, and margaritas to drink. The centerpieces had some California wild flora inserted here and there (including purple thistles!). And, of course,

a giant redwood ice sculpture (in honor of Uncle Ranger Dave).


The next generation of Uncle Daves, hitting the dance floor with his lovely bride. (There, Katie, proof that your husband DOES dance!)


His partners seem to enjoy it. :)

btw Miriam is wearing a dress that I wore at her age! Doesn't it just scream 80's?

Miriam has this thing about being in the middle of things. I couldn't get her attention to get her to move! I hope Timi & Nick don't mind having their niece in every one of their cake shots...

I love family weddings. It's great to have a mini-reunion and catch up with all the cousins. We were always a tight bunch, thanks to Nana, who made sure we grew up getting to know each other. (She would invite us over to her house in 2s and 3s during the summer.)

Two cousins are missing here -- but only b/c they had to attend other weddings the same day! June IS the month of brides...

Finally, the classic great-grandma-with-screaming-baby-and-escaping-toddler shot. :)

What a great family to belong to! I always look forward to getting together with my family, and am always sad when everyone has to split and go their separate ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment