Here he is making friends with the friendliest of the lot, one belonging to my cousin Emily.
I suspect the cat had never met a small person before, and didn't know what to expect.
The other cat was wise, though, and kept out of sight, only viewing the small intruder through safety glass.
Then we visited my brother's place, and set him loose on their cats. They're the ones who just had the baby boy, so I told them this will be a good experience for their cats, to know what to expect. :) Isis was amazingly long-suffering.
Finally, this is my parents' cat, Mau.
Mau is actually Egyptian for "cat," in addition to being the sound she makes. Mau is a very polite, unobtrusive kitty. The last time we were here, she spend the entire time hiding in my parent's bedroom, and nearly starved herself rather than come out to the kitchen where all the PEOPLE were. This visit, however, she consented to acknowledge our existence, and even allowed us the privilege of offering her an occasional scritch. (I found her happy spot at the base of her tail.) She figured Joseph out pretty quick -- she learned that she could keep a couple steps ahead of him without too much effort, and so the two of them would slowly follow each other around in figure eights around the coffee table and entry way, Joseph chortling the whole time. I wish I'd thought to take a video! It was pretty funny to watch.When Mau tired of leading Jo-jo on a merry dance, she would retreat to her safe place on my parents' bed, above -- she figured out that even if he walked all around the bed, he couldn't reach the middle of it. So she would plant herself right in the very middle of it and watch him from under one half-closed eye. Jo didn't like that too well. :)
He just loves animals -- our gerbils, relatives' cats, neighborhood dogs -- I'm hoping we'll be able to continue keeping pets throughout our kids' childhoods. NO dogs until the kids are able to help take care of it though -- I've got enough babies to watch over right now! :)
Our kitty Mau seems to have profited from the Unrest Cure provided by the Pickles children. She now lets total strangers approach and skritch her ears, whereas she used to run and hide whenever she so much as heard a strange voice in another room. So the attentions of Jo-jo and his sisters were good for her!
ReplyDelete