Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ready for Creative Writing!

Now that Miriam has finished her sewing project, this is how the girls spend most of their free time.

Katie's pictures are becoming more involved -- after she finishes one she always finds someone she can corner and tell all about it. It usually involves someone's birthday, or riding ponies, or someone dressed as a princess, with lots of her friends, real or make-believe.

Miriam today has made her first foray into story writing. She came up to me while I was taking a decadent sip from my cup of Trader Joe's European Sipping Chocolate, asking how to spell "walk," then returned several minutes later with this.

As I write this she is expanding it into a full-blown story with illustrations and a book cover. There is about half a ream of lined paper with slightly off-kilter punched holes lying around the house, along with several ribbons which Miriam uses for book binding. I remember doing this sort of thing when I was about the same age (I distinctly remember a page saying "the Eed") but I used a stapler. Ribbons are prettier.

Her next story will be about "The Sistr and the Bruthr" I am told.

2 comments:

  1. This is so darn cute. I love watching what Miriam does. My sister Maria is always doing the exact same things! Then two years later my kids start it. It's so nice getting a preview. Maria is into writing elaborate stories with illustrations now too- always about cats and dogs:-) I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic! I can hardly wait for Abby to be reading and writing on her own like that. That's one very creative kid you have there.

    ReplyDelete