the finished product! She really did a great job. I'm so proud of her!As part of our home schooling schedule, I'd like to dedicate one day a week to creating. Some friends of ours do this, and I think it's a great idea. It's so refreshing to take a break from the usual weekday routine of learning and exercise the right side of the brain a bit. Everyone's brain is so fried by the end of the week anyway that one might as well try to have a little fun! The girls draw all day every day, so Friday would probably be devoted to even more artsy things like painting and crafts and all those other messy things that I normally hate to do. A neighbor just dropped off a bunch of crafty doodads like goggle eyes and itty bitty flower pots (perfect for fairy houses!) that we'll be sure to make good use of.
Yesterday afternoon I polished off another sleep sack for Joseph in about an hour. We're sick of trying to snap up all those itty bitty snaps in the middle of the night after a diaper change, when Joseph is anything but cooperative. (and by "we" I mean "Mr. Pickles" since whenever Joseph wakes up I feign sleep so I don't have to get out of our warm bed to change him.) So (to assuage my conscience) I decided to make him a wearable blanket -- it's basically a big fleece bag with neck- and armholes and a drawstring across the bottom to keep his toes toasty. (It also makes it difficult for him to scooch when he's groggy, thereby hindering his movement when he wakes up and giving us a sporting chance of getting to him before he scales the pillow barricades and plummets off the bed!)
I made this sack about a week ago -- the one I finished yesterday is below. I love the snowmen. I had bought white buttons to go with it, but yesterday the creative urge once again inspired me to embellish it with acrylic paints thusly:
I like this creativity thing! It makes the days so full, in a fun way.
...Now I feel guilty for scoffing at the Resident Murloc's taking a leatherworking class. :)
When I see you next, I will bring some leather and tools, and we can play. It's great fun hammering things... and still making it look pretty! ;)
ReplyDeleteI think you'd enjoy the Celtic knots. :)
~ The Resident Murloc
Ooh ooh! Do you have a glue gun? I just had a really cool idea for a hair barrette.
ReplyDeleteMm, hammering things. Me like sound of dat!
I do indeed have a glue gun... a mini one! But, in all honesty, epoxy is much better to glue leather to a barrette clip. I had to do that for my costume, actually. Epoxy is your friend for that EXTRA hold. :)
ReplyDelete~ The Resident Murloc