So I recently purchased this pattern that I've had my eye on for a couple years. It was only $2. So how could I NOT get it?
Now can someone help me justify purchasing the fabric for it by telling me where I could wear a dress like this more often than once a year at a Medieval festival?
To heck with what anyone else thinks. Why can't you wear what you want when you want because it makes you feel pretty? Why should you care if people turn and stare? They're just jealous because you've got a cool dress. You should take a lesson from your daughters and wear a princess dress because you feel like it.
As far as suggestions as where to wear it, how about when going out to a (not too formal) dinner, when visiting friends, heck even at Mass (maybe not Sundays, but maybe). Just because today's styles aren't glorious doesn't mean you should be restricted from dressing suchly.
Oh, and don't forget the hair (Gratuitous self-plug completed). And The Murloc wore her hair like that to Mass the next day. I asked her to leave it like that all week, but she got rid of it by the following Monday, complaining that her headset at work wouldn't fit over it. Balderdash, that's an excuse if ever I heard one.
Says the woman who has never worn layers of petticoats in 100 degree heat nor tried to get her waist squeezed to 18" thanks to a whalebone corset. ("You done had a baby, Miss Scarlet. You never gonna have no 18 inches again!")
But I'm with Joe. Make the dress and wear it to a nice dinner with your husband. (even more fun if he wears a suit or tux and you go out to IHOP or similar quality restaurant. Think of it as a throwback to our post-formal Eat 'N Park trips) Or to Easter Vigil. Oooooooh.
Well, with a few modifications (like a bit to the sleeve and shortening the length) it could turn into an attractive day dress fit for Sundays and such. Of course, then it wouldn't be the EXACT dress in all of its medieval glory, but then, it would have that FLAVOR of it. :)
A few years ago we went to the Catholic Family Conference and saw a mom there who wore long dresses (Victorian style, I think) all the time. She said she liked them and they were comfortable for her. Besides, she said, they made her feel feminine.
This particular style doesn't require lots of petticoats - just a long slip or lightweight underskirt will do. You can make the dress out of a practical modern fabric that isn't too heavy and that will breathe.
So if you like it, go for it! Make it and you'll find occasions to wear it. With your height and bearing, you'll look incredibly elegant. The other girls will envy you. Maybe you'll start a trend!
I am just as in love with this pattern as you are (if not more!). And I am in agreement with the others; wear this because you want to feel beautiful. Yes, and let us take the hint from our daughters.
I aspire to your great sewing skills (though I would be nothing short of miraculous for me to be so skilled and industrious), and since I also drool over these sorts of patterns, I hope for you to find many occasions to wear this beautiful dress.
To heck with what anyone else thinks. Why can't you wear what you want when you want because it makes you feel pretty? Why should you care if people turn and stare? They're just jealous because you've got a cool dress. You should take a lesson from your daughters and wear a princess dress because you feel like it.
ReplyDeleteAs far as suggestions as where to wear it, how about when going out to a (not too formal) dinner, when visiting friends, heck even at Mass (maybe not Sundays, but maybe). Just because today's styles aren't glorious doesn't mean you should be restricted from dressing suchly.
Oh, and don't forget the hair (Gratuitous self-plug completed). And The Murloc wore her hair like that to Mass the next day. I asked her to leave it like that all week, but she got rid of it by the following Monday, complaining that her headset at work wouldn't fit over it. Balderdash, that's an excuse if ever I heard one.
Says the woman who has never worn layers of petticoats in 100 degree heat nor tried to get her waist squeezed to 18" thanks to a whalebone corset. ("You done had a baby, Miss Scarlet. You never gonna have no 18 inches again!")
ReplyDeleteBut I'm with Joe. Make the dress and wear it to a nice dinner with your husband. (even more fun if he wears a suit or tux and you go out to IHOP or similar quality restaurant. Think of it as a throwback to our post-formal Eat 'N Park trips) Or to Easter Vigil. Oooooooh.
Or you could go to Medieval Times in Maryland. It's only about 40 miles from you guys.
ReplyDeleteWell, with a few modifications (like a bit to the sleeve and shortening the length) it could turn into an attractive day dress fit for Sundays and such. Of course, then it wouldn't be the EXACT dress in all of its medieval glory, but then, it would have that FLAVOR of it.
ReplyDelete:)
Go ahead and wear it whenever you want!
ReplyDeleteA few years ago we went to the Catholic Family Conference and saw a mom there who wore long dresses (Victorian style, I think) all the time. She said she liked them and they were comfortable for her. Besides, she said, they made her feel feminine.
This particular style doesn't require lots of petticoats - just a long slip or lightweight underskirt will do. You can make the dress out of a practical modern fabric that isn't too heavy and that will breathe.
So if you like it, go for it! Make it and you'll find occasions to wear it. With your height and bearing, you'll look incredibly elegant. The other girls will envy you. Maybe you'll start a trend!
And definitely, do your hair up!
I am just as in love with this pattern as you are (if not more!). And I am in agreement with the others; wear this because you want to feel beautiful. Yes, and let us take the hint from our daughters.
ReplyDeleteI aspire to your great sewing skills (though I would be nothing short of miraculous for me to be so skilled and industrious), and since I also drool over these sorts of patterns, I hope for you to find many occasions to wear this beautiful dress.
That's a very pretty pattern. I love the dresses from the Victorian Era/Gone With The Wind.
ReplyDeleteI love the big poofy skirts. You'll see that my wedding dress has a big poofy, ballgown skirt. I love it. :)
Btw, that last post was made by ME!!!
ReplyDeleteChristine ;)