...and I'll show you a culture that hates children.
Idea hat tip to Mark Shea. I followed his links to other blogs about this, and some of the comments left on one were just unbelievable in their hatred -- they thought the ad was funny!! What a sick society we live in.
It got me thinking though, and pitying the people who hate the idea of having children. It reminded me of my childhood pastor, good old Fr. McHugh, and his sermons about the Four Last Things. Briefly, Heaven is an eternity saying "Thou" and Hell is an eternity saying "Me". Those who prepared themselves for heaven consistently tried to love and serve others, while those who prepared themselves for hell consistently thought only of themselves. If the greatest happiness is a life lived in loving service to others (and who knows this better than a parent?), then people who are willingly closing themselves off to loving relationships, because it might inconvenience them, are already living in Hell. What a horrific thing. I mean, what do you say to someone who is otherwise a very nice, friendly person, but who says "I'm NEVER having children and I'm going to take birth control as long as it takes to prevent it"?
Kind of put an abrupt end to my little pity party, and got me thinking about how I could love and serve my family more cheerfully, instead of giving martyr lessons.
Wow--they played that commercial during one of my real estate training seminars and EVERYONE in the room burst out in laughter. It's sad, our society is so selfish. The kid just needed a little discipline.
ReplyDeleteThis commercial actually offers a very important message, though, I think, an unconscious one.
ReplyDeleteThis "father" is a complete wuss who is controlled by his son. He has no authority over his son and he shows his own powerlessness over his inability to be a father to his son. In a word, he is completely impotent.
So, what happens when you use condoms? Bingo!