Sunday, May 21, 2006

Sancta Mater Ecclesia

I had meant to post this a couple days ago, but time as usual ran away from me...

As you all know, The Da Vinci Code opened this weekend. A couple weeks ago one of our parish priests gave a great homily about it. One of the great quotes from his homily was from St. Augustine, something to the effect that every heresy is an opportunity to learn the truth. So too with this movie. Mixed up with some half-truths are many distortions and outright lies. The popularity of the book and movie is an opportunity for us Catholics to educate ourselves about the truth of our Church's history, in order to pass the truth on to those who would otherwise have no exposure to it. I'm sure that none of the readers of this blog will go to see this movie, but in case you talk to people who are thinking of going (if they haven't yet), here's a thought from Father's homily that you can pass along:

Imagine a sweet old lady, someone you love and admire. (Fr. used the example of our former pastor's mother.) Suppose that somebody wrote a biography of this woman, but filled it with horrific tales of totally invented depravities, painting her as a cruel, twisted, evil old woman, and in general dragging her name through the mud. Suppose that a movie were made out of that biography. Would YOU go to see it?

The Church is OUR mother.

2 comments:

  1. That's a good way of putting it.

    What happened to the new pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was in the middle of uploading a bunch of stuff, but got interrupted halfway, so I wasn't able to finish the post, nor was I able to immediately save the pictures as drafts, as I usually do. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the post now during sacred priceless naptime (please, children, stay asleep!). :)

    ReplyDelete