We finally made a breakthrough with regards to the language that Katie speaks. We finally figured out that she speaks Tazmanian Devilish now! Like all babies she started off with Old Solarian, the language of the Eldila and other angels, then progressed to either Entish or Sindarin Elvish -- hard to say which, exactly -- and now Tazmanian. We can tell because most of her words involve lots of juicy use of her tongue.
UPDATE: Actually, since I first drafted this post a couple weeks ago, her language has mutated to Welsh. At least, some of her consonants involve a complex arrangement of her tongue and cheeks which produces a sound I've only ever heard in Welsh -- sort of a cross between "th" and "l". (Go ahead, you try it!) She seems to speak very fluent Welsh, with lots of inflections and expression -- I only wish we could understand what the heck she's saying!
Some of her latest (see also the Katie-English dictionary in sidebar for updates):
oh no! (said whenever she hears a siren)
drogees -- stroller
dockees -- chocolate
wagees -- water
noogees -- noodles
(do you notice a pattern?) :)
oh my (she learned this from Miriam & Edy while we were visiting the ol' Alma Mater -- post coming soon!)
mickey/muck/moke -- milk (I thought that was an interesting progression)
bucky -- buckle (usually said after we remove her highchair tray, but she's still strapped in)
I -- any letter of the alphabet, referring especially to our ABC magnets
As you can see, like most children her age Katie needs some major translating to communicate with non-family members! :)
Wow, she's saying a lot! Can Miriam translate for her yet?
ReplyDeleteFrom your sidebar of Katie's Words of the Week you can tell she's Polish -- only a Polish baby could manage to say "xkths"!