Thursday, March 02, 2006

Miriamisms IV

Miriam is really into story telling now. She found a sheet of paper the other day and pretended to read Katie & me stories from it. This was one of them:

Miriam: This story's going to be very funny. Do you like spooky?
Me: Mmm, sometimes.
Miriam: Okay, once upon a time Miriam went to the Spooooooky Old Tree and she went in and fell and then an alligator ATE her!
[long pause, as if story was over]
Me: And THEN what happened?!?
Miriam: And then her Mommy looked and looked for her. She was in the water. And her Mommy rescued her, and took her home, and put little bandaids alllllllll over her.

-----------------

Some backstory for the next Miriamism: in order to encourage good behavior and cooperation, we've been using sticker charts w/Miriam for her morning and evening chores. If she gets dressed, puts her jammies away, and makes her beds in the morning, or gets her jammies on, puts her clothes away, and brushes her teeth and hair in the evening without a fuss, and without being nagged, she gets a sticker. If at the end of the week her chart is full, she gets to choose one of three rewards: a movie, a trip to Dairy Queen, or a game from the toy store. After four full charts we'll take her to the Mall to ride the carousel or play in the giant play tower (this hasn't happened yet -- so far she's up to three full charts out of about 8 or so). It's a pretty good system -- works well for us, anyway.

Well, she got a full chart last week, so on Monday I took her to Toys B We to pick out a preschool game. They had about 3 preschool games in the entire store, none of which taught anything useful like taking turns, concentration skills, or numbers or colors or counting. They mostly involved whacking things with various implements, or had the words "electronic!" or "talking!" splashed across the box. NO thank you. So as a consolation prize I got the Sleeping Beauty story disks for Miriam's Viewmaster. We have a Disney picture book, which Miriam has really enjoyed reading lately. After she got over her disappointment that I wouldn't buy her a new baby doll, she was really excited about the disks, and spent some time clicking through the story while I made her lunch. She was very interested in the bad fairy.

After she had time to digest the story, she said, "Is the bad fairy going to say 'I'm sorry'? I think the bad fairy's going to say 'sorry' and then the princess will say 'I forgive you' and then she will be nice!"

A little missionary in the making.

--------------

Yesterday after morning Mass:
Miriam: I'm hungry. I think I want some breakfast. Can I have a lollipop after breakfast?
Me: No, lollipops are for after lunch.
Miriam: Ah. ...I think I want some lunch.

----------------

I had just poured Miriam a cup of milk:
"Mmm! What a good wife."

No comments:

Post a Comment