Sunday, March 19, 2006

Happy 4th Birthday, Miriam!

Well, today's the day we commemorate the 12 hours of uterine contractions and noises like a sumo wrestler that were required to bring our sweet little girl into the world. Ha ha, just kidding -- we all forget about MOM'S labor in order to let Miriam be princess for a day (of course, one might argue, when is she NOT?). Miriam had a great birthday. We didn't have a party this year, mostly b/c we thought we'd be travelling to Steubenville soon so we could celebrate several birthdays with family. At least, that's what we've been telling everyone. The REAL reason is that Mrs. Pickles just didn't have enough energy to plan anything big this year. Fortunately Miriam's not old enough to care. She's just excited about being four. For the last several weeks we've had to listen to: "I'm tired of being three! It's HARD being three! I want to be FOUR!" So now she's reached the happy land of fourness. When she woke up this morning, she told us, "Now I'm four! Am I bigger?" And of course we told her that she was SO much bigger than three that we couldn't carry her downstairs anymore, she had to walk like the big girl she was! She wasn't sure what to make of this. She was very proud of the fact that she was bigger, but wasn't sure she was willing to give up being carted around by Mom & Dad. (We'll still carry her of course -- she only weighs two more pounds than last year, after all!)

Last night we got together with some other families from our church for a pot-luck St. Patrick's Day celebration, so I brought a cake so Miriam could get sung to by a bunch of kids. She was happy, the kids were happy to get cake, everybody wins! (Mr. Pickles made FABULOUS bread pudding with whiskey sauce, so the parents were VERY happy too!) :)


strawberry/chocolate birthday cake (picked by Miriam)

Miriam in her birthday dress, with flowers she picked from our garden.

birthday girl
I've had the fabric for this dress for almost a year, only just now got around to making it. I like the idea of making dresses for the girls for their birthdays. Miriam was VERY excited about it -- when I pulled the fabric out last week and explained what it was for, she asked if she could try it on after her nap -- I can't work THAT fast, kid! The whole week has been an agony of waiting for her. I would let her try on little bits at a time -- like the bodice, then the dress sans sleeves, then finally the happy day when it was all done! She enjoyed watching it get put together. I have so many fond memories of sitting next to my mom while she sewed for me. It's neat to be able to pass that on.

Present time!

VERY excited about the purple gluestick!
(I thought Grandma E. might like to see this one.)

She's such a girl -- she LOVES her new clothes! (Mr. Pickles provided the prop...)

anyone for tennis?

So as far as Miriam's concerned, her birthday is complete: she got sung to, she had cake, she blew out candles, and she opened presents. She hasn't opened all her birthday gifts yet, actually -- Mommy and Daddy still have to give her something, the schmucks (like she noticed -- she was so excited about the birthday dress I don't think we really feel obliged to get her anything else!); plus two more packages are at the Post Office. Will post more birthday cuteness as it occurs.

So finally, after a great weekend, at the end of the day we heard this from a tired birthday girl: "I don't want to be four anymore! I want to be FIVE!"

5 comments:

  1. HAPPY Birthday MIRIAM!!

    I'll never forget how strange it was that I was in the middle of my doctor's appointment when the three of you walked in needing Bruchalski to deliver her! That was tooo funny!! Miriam and I are meant to cross each others' lives in a very important way throughout the rest of our lives! According to prophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY FOURTH BIRTHDAY, MIRIAM!!!
    Wish we could have been there!

    Miriam's box from us should arrive any day. (There's something for Mr. P. in it, too -- and a little something for Katie bear!).

    Thanks so much for posting the pictures, Mrs. P. It's almost like being there!

    And thanks for the comment about watching me sew for you. I didn't realize you had memories about that. I loved making things for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially remember one spring when I didn't get very much schoolwork done b/c I spent several months watching you make costumes! I guess one could say that spring we concentrated on home ec. :) I know I sure learned a lot just from watching. (like how to sew sequins over netting...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress turned out so nice! I can't wait to see it in real life. Is this the Easter dress, too. Or, are you making even more dresses as I type?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be her Easter dress as well. I plan to make one for Katie too -- but I still need to get the fabric for it. It will probably be made the week before Easter. ;)

    ReplyDelete