Thursday, June 02, 2005

Musical Miriamisms

Miriam has a thing for Julie Andrews. She has all the songs from both Sound of Music and Mary Poppins completely memorized. Of course, her versions are all in Miriamese (see previous post), but still! Whenever she's feeling content with life she'll burst out with, "DO ME ME, ME SO SO, RE FA FA, LA TI TI" (with the last three syllables up in the stratosphere somewhere) and then sing it again in double-quick time, like in the movie.

But in addition to that perennial favorite, her new fav is the Advertisement for a Nanny song from Mary Poppins. She'll come up to one of us and say, "I need something to sing!" So we'll give her a sheet of music, and she'll stand and proceed to sing the entire song, including Michael's side comments ("I put that part in too!") and the little head-nod they do at the end (see "what Miriam's singing," sidebar). I think we've already caught it on videotape -- it's just too precious!

The other day she also burst out with "Ohhhhh, it's a jolly holiday with Daaaad-dyyyyyy....."

This was something that impressed me: the other day Miriam wanted me to help her play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on the piano (I basically take one of her fingers and attempt to get it to play one note at a time). After that she wanted to play the alphabet song (same tune), and proceeded to sing along, IN TUNE!!! (albeit an octave higher than what we were playing!) Being musically inclined myself, I was gratified to see that already Miriam can distinguish pitch so well. Broadway, here she comes!!! :) (Well, maybe the L.A. Master Chorale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment