Our usual bedtime ritual with Miriam involves thanking Jesus for the blessings of the day, praying for everyone we know (often summarized into "God bless everybody" when Mommy or Daddy is very tired), and then singing a lullaby of her choice.
Lately Miriam will start the thanksgiving part with "Thank you for guardian angel... thank you for puudli... [there's a picture of a puudli on her wall -- it's a Belland thing] thank you for Edy... thank you for wectangle on my door... thank you for my curtains...." We get the sense she's trying to be as thankful as possible to prolong the moment when she has to go to sleep.
Her favorite lullaby these days is "What Wondrous Love Is This," which she will request by saying, "Mommy, sing 'Whatdrous this, when I was sinking down, to God and to the Lamb, when I'm fwee I'll sing on'?" thereby also requesting all the verses she wants me to sing.
God bless Miriam! "Wondrous Love" is Grandma B's FAVORITE hymn (along with "Jesu, dulcis memoria"). That must be why she likes it - it's in the genes!
ReplyDeleteHer prayers of thanksgiving are touching - maybe there's a little bit of St. Francis in her? I heard of someone who once during prayer was overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude to God for all sorts of things - especially the color green!