Sunday, June 19, 2011

Big Sky Country

Okay, I know technically that title belongs to Montana, but the sky in Minnesota is SO BIG!!  Living in a valley as we do, we never get to see sights like this.

looks like Ireland to me

the contrasts!  (the thunderheads!)
Okay, this one was cool.  Ever since I first saw these on APOD I've wanted to see them.  And we did!  See the rays to the left?

anticrepuscular rays!!

 Of course, the reason the sky is so big is that this is what passes for a "mountain" in Minnesota:

see that little bump in the land -- with a ski slope on it?
Beautiful, beautiful country.  Minnesota is just lovely in spring (before the mosquitoes wake up...).

(yes, these were all taken from a moving car.  don't you love all the reflections of my lap?)

3 comments:

  1. Not to outnerd you, but I've seen anticrepuscular rays on the road in Indiana several times. They are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course -- you get to drive through Flatland all the time, you lucky dog you! Conditions have to be just right to see them: you know, sun near the horizon, big cloud covering it so rays shoot up, clear-ish sky on the opposite horizon, and a flat space to view it all. This was the first time I personally had witnessed all those elements together.
    It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete