So, back to our anniversary. As I mentioned before, for our 10th wedding anniversary Mr. Pickles surprised me with a trip to Key West, Florida, including, but not limited to, a 3-night stay in a beach resort hotel with an ocean view, 3 separate boating trips, food poisoning, snorkeling, kayaking, a dinner sunset cruise, and pirates. He told me a couple weeks before our anniversary that a) we were going Someplace; b) my parents were coming out to watch the kids for us; and c) I should bring a swimsuit. And that was all I was told. He had been planning the trip with my parents for a couple months beforehand -- I was very impressed with his sneakiness.
So, the parents came out a couple days before Thanksgiving, and we had time to visit with them before we left. The day after Thanksgiving we kept our tradition of visiting an historic place in Old Town Alexandria by touring the Carlyle House. Gadsby's Tavern was booked solid, so we had to settle for a fish & chips place for dinner, with disastrous consequences for those who partook of the tartar cause (see "food poisoning," above).
The Sunday after Thanksgiving, Mr. Pickles and Daniel and I left at o'dark-thirty to catch our early flight. I didn't officially know where we were going until we checked in (although we did receive a mysterious phone call at home from some charter service that got me wondering). :) I had been concerned about the new invasive security screenings at the airport, but thankfully we didn't set anything off or get selected randomly for Special Treatment. Daniel was an awesome air traveler. He just threw buckets of cute at all the flight attendants.
He was the happiest of the three of us, since Mr. Pickles and I were regretting the breakfast potatoes we had purchased and consumed at the airport. The connecting flight was misery for me -- I was so exhausted from the short night but couldn't sleep because of the nausea. But we finally, finally arrived in paradise! I could smell the ocean the second I stepped out of the plane -- it smelled so much like home!
It had just rained before we landed -- the sky was spritzing a bit as we climbed down from the plane (Key West's airport is so small they simply roll a stairway up to the plane, the old-fashioned way). But the sun was out by the time we finished the 10-minute taxi ride to our hotel. The weather was utterly amazing the whole time we were there -- lower to upper 70's.
The hotel even had its own private little beach & swimming area, complete with diving platform.
We spent most of that first afternoon napping and drinking in great draughts of the sea air. Daniel was also a greasy baby -- and pretty sweaty in his fleece jammies by the time we landed -- so he got a bath.
By the evening I was feeling well enough again to venture out, so we went to dinner and walked around for a bit. I was totally happy just relaxing on our balcony, too.
The next morning we got up early and ordered room service (so decadent!), then walked to the marina for a boat trip with Danger Charters. Yes, we brought the baby on the boat.
I'm afraid I'm not a nautical person, so I can't describe the boat, except to say it was large enough to comfortably hold our group of a dozen or so, including the two sailors. I loved sailing. Once we got far enough out, they cut the engine and hoisted the sails.
It was amazing how quiet it was when the engine stopped -- just the water slapping against the side of the boat, and the wind in your ears. I loved watching the sailors at their work, running around barefoot, tying, untying, hoisting... I gained a lot of respect for the workings of even the smallest sailboat. You really have to know your boat and the winds to sail it well.
We sailed out for about an hour, then dropped anchor to go snorkeling. The waters around Key West are so shallow that even that far out it was only 8 feet deep, and so clear. The waves were so gentle that it made for awesome snorkeling, once your body stopped panicking over the fact that you were BREATHING UNDER WATER.
We began sailing back, and then stopped again, this time for kayaking near a small island made by mangrove trees. These trees are wicked awesome -- they grow right out of the water.
Altogether it was a delightful day. Even though they didn't serve lunch technically, we had fresh fruit on our way out which was amazing -- and coming back we were served chips with a black bean dip which just hit the spot. We highly recommend this company, if any of you are ever in Key West. :)
After lunch in our hotel, we decided to introduce Daniel to the beach.
The sand, however, was a different story.
THAT he liked.
That evening we went on a sunset cruise... with pirates. This was a LOT of fun.
Actually, Cascabel the Pyrate (swashbuckler for hire -- he gave us his business card) was a really cool guy. He makes all his own costumes, including the leather and metal pieces. He was wearing this really cool ring, symbolic of his membership in the Order of Leviathan, which he said is like winning an Oscar in the "pirate community." (...There's a community?)
The trip itself was wonderful -- the crew of three kept commenting on what a perfect evening it was for sailing. Again I enjoyed watching them running around hoisting and tying (the pirates mostly just stood around and looked cool).
But the best part was the cannons.
This exchange began: "Surrender your women or prepare to be boarded!"
Totally fun night. If we ever go back I want to do this again.
The next day we did the ultra-touristy thing and took a tram ride around the island. That was really interesting, although the sing-songy voice of the tour guide made the trip the most memorable. One got the impression that he had done this several thousand times before.
The rest of the day we ratted around and shopped and had Key Limeade and Key Lime ice cream.
Funny shot of the trip: even Paradise has trash day. And when you live on an island, the trash truck has to get there somehow...That evening we went on another sunset cruise, this time a private one, with a gourmet dinner.
After we returned to the marina we walked around once more, feeling mellow and at one with all humanity. (I'm sure the alcohol helped with that attitude.)
Alas, we had to leave the next day. Apparently we left just in time: this was the view as we were packing up to leave :
It was a wonderful time. It was great just being alone together with relatively few interruptions. It was nice just spending the time with Daniel, too. It reminded us of when we had only Miriam.
Also of course, life dumped on us as soon as we returned. Joseph lost his dinner all over the dining room floor, which made Miriam feel sick. But the kids had been great for their grandparents while we were gone, and everyone had a good time. We were all sad when Mom & Dad had to go home. We were so grateful for the time with them, and that they were willing to do this for us. Thanks Mom and Dad! (I hope you've recovered by now!) :)
----------
Post updated to add:
I forgot to mention before that possibly the best anniversary gift Mr. Pickles and I received was this:
The girls cleaned their room, unasked, all by themselves, as a surprise for us!!
Wow! What a lovely 10th anniversary trip! Kudos to Mr. P for being such a romantic man to plan it out all so beautifully! It looks like it was heavenly. And, Mrs. P, I must say I'm very much impressed that you have figured out the baby wrap thingamabobber. I have one -- Matthew was able to use it -- but I never mastered the technique of wrapping! Ah well, maybe this next time. ;)
ReplyDeleteThat is an awesome story! I had so much fun reading it. The pictures are breathtaking, even at 2X2. I love that Daniel loves the sand. The captain of the charter boat should have provided you some regular sunscreen if spray on wasn't allowed, you know? Snorkling looked so relaxing... Happy Anniversary, you two!
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome time you guys had! And what a blessing you had gorgeous weather while in FL! It looks like it was the perfect trip!
ReplyDeleteI especially loved the pirate stuff! But, then again, it's me... of course I'd love the pirate stuff! And I have great respect for those that make their own costumes, including leather and metal accessories. Having been there/done that, I can relate whole-heartedly!
Once again, happy 10 years! And a many many more happy ones!
(Greg: Looks like you're setting some kind of bar for a 10-year get-away. I'm sure Joe's taking notes. ;) )
~ The Resident Murloc
What a great trip! Thanks for sharing and that baby wrap looked tres chic on you. Happy Anniversary :) and cheers to many more years and many more good stories! PS the welcome home signs were so cute!
ReplyDelete