Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Flying Solo

Well, I survived the first day of Mr. Pickles' return to work yesterday. Miraculously, the children were extremely well-behaved all day, even the toddler! I was able to shower in the morning while the baby napped. We had pancakes for breakfast (provided by that angel, Mr. Pickles). We cleaned the living room and threw away a couple reams (give or take) of used drawing paper. I did several loads of laundry, including the neverending diapers. The girls cleaned their room. I made chicken nuggets for lunch. The baby nursed and napped at predictable intervals. It was too hot to go outside to play, so the kids had "Wiicess" for their activity. I even got a nap while the boys were sleeping. Dinner was provided by another angel (including wine, God's manifold blessings upon her!), so all I had to do was heat it up in the oven. By the evening I was still wiped out and headed to bed at 10:30 -- but all in all it was an extremely good day, which was a delightful surprise!

Today, however...

Today I decided to be ambitious and take all the kids grocery shopping, since we were out of milk and breakfast cereal (two essentials without which the children would starve on my watch). We started off all right -- I made eggs and toast for breakfast with melon pre-sliced by Mr. Pickles (what would I do without that man?). We left on our adventure, with only half a dozen instances of find your sandals and actually put them on and stop bossing your brother and don't kick your sister and leave the baby alone and please use the bathroom now. I had nursed the baby shortly before we left, thinking that would sustain him on the longer ride (to Wegman's in Potomac Mills -- 20 mins. away with no traffic). Ha. I should know by now that driving anywhere on any major highway this time of year takes twice as long, since road construction crews are out in flocks. A couple miles from home we hit a slow spot and the baby woke up from his nap. Hungry. NOW. So our soundtrack for the rest of the long, slow trip down was a battle between Christian music and an hysterical hungry infant.

But we finally, finally arrived, parked, went in, grabbed some muffins and juice, and settled ourselves in the cafe area for a rest stop. Just as the baby's faith in humanity was being restored, it turned out that Katie was not particularly fond of the french vanilla mammoth muffin she chose. Either that or she drank too much juice too fast. And of course the closest bathroom was halfway across the store. Thankfully the bag the muffins had come in was waterproof. And opaque. And her indigestion was very temporary. Miriam still took off running, covering her ears. (It's moments like this that confirm her in her desire to be a consecrated virgin, I think.)

Meanwhile Joseph was busy unloading from the other end, and of course I left his diaper bag at home. But my guardian angel must have prompted me the other day to stick a couple extra diapers for the boys in the car, to have on hand for just such a mommy-brained case as this. So, back out to the car we go, retrieve diaper, and head to the family bathroom. That involved the usual public restroom adventures -- small children touching everything, squirting soap on the floor, cranking out 2 feet of paper towels, and trying to unlock the door 3 or 4 times when I would prefer privacy.

At this point I was ready to throw in the towel and give up in despair, but we pressed on, with Daniel asleep in the Moby, Joseph in the basket, Katie trying to get herself run over by leaping on and off the front of the cart without warning (or permission, I should add), and Miriam lolly-gagging and blocking aisles. The actual shopping only took a fraction of the total time there, so I figured we could run out again and get home before the baby woke up. Again, ha. He woke up while I was taking the opportunity to fill the car up with cheap gas (it's 30 cents cheaper -- of course I'm not going to pass that up!) -- I swear he goes from Fast Asleep to Starving in 0.02 seconds. He was not happy. But I figured he would fall back asleep once we got moving. However, I forgot to reckon with traffic, including a collision that happened right in front of us. So, once again, our drive home was accompanied by the sweet refrain of the radio battling with the screaming baby. He got so mad I thought he was going to make himself sick at one point. It's so hard to listen to that and not be able to do anything about it! Eventually he did fall back asleep -- about 5 minutes from home, natch. But it was enough to soothe him and make him more placid when we did arrive home. I worked out a plan of attack for our arrival -- Miriam held & bounced Daniel while Katie and I unloaded the car, then Miriam put away the cold things so I could sit down and feed him. Joseph, who had fallen asleep in the car, woke up when we got home, but was still groggy enough to be willing to lie around on the couch before he realized he was hungry too.

So now, we've all had lunch, everyone's good mood has been restored, the baby is snoozing in his swing, and I've got a bag of chocolate in front of me. We survived. *pant pant pant*

7 comments:

  1. I think you should get some kind of a medal for handling all that successfully! I hope it will get easier with time. But you seem to have amazing patience and your all-important sense of humor is still functioning.

    Congratulations, Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exhausted just *reading* that story! x_x

    Grats on making it through alive and (partially) sane.

    ~ The Resident Murloc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zowie! I agree with your mom! I don't even go out with Maelys by myself these days because I'm severely patience challenged. And, I have never really flown solo since M works from home! I need to live next to you and learn. I'm still in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you haven't discovered the joy of ordering groceries online. I had been debating doing it for the past two years, and then about a month ago I decided to give it a try. (Vons delivers for free your first time.) It's wonderful!

    The nearest grocery store is about 15 minutes away from my house. That's 30 minutes commuting and about 30 minutes in the store. I'm basically saving myself an hour. I can imagine that you'd probably save yourself more time since you've got the kid factor.

    Every order is saved, so you can just repeat that the next time and add or remove whatever you want to on the list. They've got pictures for all their items and even the nutritional information. It's great!

    I'm not sure if there's a store in your area that delivers, but if there is, you should give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine's post reminded me that for a while when you were very young, I used to have milk delivered by a dairy. They also brought orange juice and eggs, and some other things, I think. It was more expensive than the grocery store, but the convenience was worth it. And when I consider all the things I ended up buying when I really only needed milk, it may well have been less expensive in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The delivery cost is actually pretty reasonable. It ranges anywhere from $6.95-$12.95 depending on the day, time, and window gap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm actually going to start doing this, simply to save Joe or I the trip and hassle.

    Unfortunately, Albertsons doesn't deliver (you can place our order online, but have to go to the store to pick it up... maybe they'll catch on th the delivery thing).

    I'll have to go with Vons or something to that effect to get delivery. And it'll keep me to strictly buying the items we need and not walking by something going "Ooo! Yummy! I'll take that!".

    ~ The Resident Murloc

    ReplyDelete