That's so funny! Even though we all have cars, we can't drive them. They were talking about it on the radio again this morning. The funny thing was, they had a European guy come on. He is here on vacation and was driving all over. He said we Americans complain alot and don't know how good we have it. Apparently, even though it seems really expensive to us, it is much more expensive across the pond. That's really hard for me to imagine. Especially after seeing their cars.
I've heard similar comments from Europeans. They're very right when it comes to certain aspects of American life--such as water and bathing. I think gas is typically $5+ in England (about 3+ pounds). I think they have more fuel restrictions and taxes which cut their supply & boosts their price.
I think it's funny to hear Europeans talk about how much American's complain, and how we don't know how good we have it. It is sometimes true. But when French students throw rocks and burn cars over a minor lift to the 35-hour workweek**, how often do you hear about "spoiled Europeans?"
**Or insert your government-subsidized benefit of choice.
Last time I was in the UK (last October), gas in the Manchester area was around 90p/litre = $6.43/gallon at today's exchange rate.
I have a really hard time caring when gas prices go up. I really can't complain when my co-worker commutes 80 miles one-way (from northern Wales to Warrington) and pays twice as much as me.
Plus, I fill up my car once a month, and bike to work on occassion.
Oh, and concerning the French, from my Despair.com calendar: "Agents from the Ministry of Jobs & Solidarity raid the Paris offices of Alcatel, demanding to know why engineers and execs were still working at 7pm. Charges are filed. May 20, 1998 (approx)."
That's so funny! Even though we all have cars, we can't drive them. They were talking about it on the radio again this morning. The funny thing was, they had a European guy come on. He is here on vacation and was driving all over. He said we Americans complain alot and don't know how good we have it. Apparently, even though it seems really expensive to us, it is much more expensive across the pond. That's really hard for me to imagine. Especially after seeing their cars.
ReplyDeleteI've heard similar comments from Europeans. They're very right when it comes to certain aspects of American life--such as water and bathing. I think gas is typically $5+ in England (about 3+ pounds). I think they have more fuel restrictions and taxes which cut their supply & boosts their price.
ReplyDeleteI think it's funny to hear Europeans talk about how much American's complain, and how we don't know how good we have it. It is sometimes true. But when French students throw rocks and burn cars over a minor lift to the 35-hour workweek**, how often do you hear about "spoiled Europeans?"
**Or insert your government-subsidized benefit of choice.
I completely agree!
ReplyDeleteLast time I was in the UK (last October), gas in the Manchester area was around 90p/litre = $6.43/gallon at today's exchange rate.
ReplyDeleteI have a really hard time caring when gas prices go up. I really can't complain when my co-worker commutes 80 miles one-way (from northern Wales to Warrington) and pays twice as much as me.
Plus, I fill up my car once a month, and bike to work on occassion.
Oh, and concerning the French, from my Despair.com calendar: "Agents from the Ministry of Jobs & Solidarity raid the Paris offices of Alcatel, demanding to know why engineers and execs were still working at 7pm. Charges are filed. May 20, 1998 (approx)."