Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Weird Weather


broil of fume from the Mountain of Fire?

It was dark and dim all day. From the sunless dawn until evening the heavy shadow had deepened, and all hearts in the City of Alexandria were oppressed. Far above a great cloud streamed slowly westward from the Black Land, devouring light, borne upon a wind of war; but below the air was still and breathless, as if all the Vale of the Potomac waited for the onset of a ruinous storm.

(with apologies to JRRT)

2 comments:

  1. I half expect to see the giant alien spaceship from Independence day come out of that cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the picture without flash, so I had to increase the film speed to get a less blurry picture. That increase adds to the grainy picture.

    This picture looks pretty good, but it doesn't do justice to the real view (as most pictures don't). I wanted to take some video of the clouds moving, but I couldn't get the camcorder ready in time. It was a really striking image. To paraphrase Lewis from "The Four Loves", "Nature gave meaning to the word 'glory'." In this instance, the word that comes to mind is "power."

    Mrs. P picked a great quote for that picture. Well done love!

    ReplyDelete