
WWII Mem. -- Pacific

WWII Mem -- Atlantic
It's a really neat monument. Apparently there was a big stink raised when it was revealed the memorial would be build on the National Mall -- not unreasonably, some didn't want the spectacular view between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument to be obstructed. I thought the designer did a beautiful job of preserving that view, as well as adding something important to it.

the pillar for Michigan is next to Mr. Pickles
I'm just glad a monument has finally been erected to honor those who gave their lives to protect what they loved. You can't help but feel grateful for the sacrifices our armed forces made, and are still making, on our behalf. Like all the monuments in DC, there were lots of great quotes carved all over the place -- which, naturally, I didn't think to write down.
After that we walked around the Tidal Basin -- along with half the rest of the world. Everybody and his mother touring DC takes this picture, but that doesn't make it any less striking.

Jefferson Mem.
Before we got back on the metro we paused in a big green field to let the girls run their little legs off. That is, Katie would try to run as far away from us as possible, and Miriam would go collect her.

"Look what I found! Can I keep her?"
That picture of the girls in the park is priceless. What sweet sisters!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting it (and all your other great pictures)!