Sunday, April 30, 2006

Cooking with MacGyver


Chef MacGyver

Wellll, it's the end of the month and once again our cupboards are beginning to look like Old Mother Hubbard's. Since we're trying to keep to a grocery budget, we've been trying to make do with what we have on hand and not go to the store for anything else until tomorrow. (The other day I broke down and got some milk and eggs since we were totally out and would have starved without them!) Our meals have been looking pretty funny lately -- for example, for lunch today Katie had half a sour cream donut, a slice of avocado, and a scrambled egg. Since Mr. Pickles is in charge of dinner for Saturday and Sunday, I was curious to see what he would come up with, having to create something edible and filling out of things like a lamb bone, ketchup, half a serving of egg noodles, chewing gum and duct tape -- you know, that sort of thing. Actually, he managed to pull it off quite well -- I must say I was quite impressed. I would have given up much sooner! Yesterday we had sandwiches of shredded leftover lamb in barbecue sauce with potato fries and apple crisp for dessert (all homemade); then today he made pasta with chicken in a white wine sauce, with cooked mixed vegetables and leftover apple crisp for dessert. Everything was so delicious. Chef MacGyver saves civilization again! (So did I pick a keeper or what???) :)

2 comments:

  1. Don't foget about the chewing gum and duct tape! I almost needed to use those items.

    As providence would have it, we had just enough of the necessary items to make dinner. We had just enough kethcup for BBQ sauce, and we had just enough milk to make a white sauce. We had just enough wine for sauce and (in good Frugal Gourmet fashion) to slightly inebriate the cook.

    Good thing too we had just enough of everything--the other option for dinner was ciggarette butt casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am VERY impressed. You guys are going to be pros if you keep this up. I thought of this website that you might be interested in for ideas: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

    ReplyDelete