Sunday, November 06, 2005

Happy Halloween!

I'm so proud of my pumpkin this year. You can barely even see the toothpicks holding up Trogdor's back. :) The flickering candle made the fire look really cool. And one trick-or-treater even admired Trogdor's beefy arm.


Trogdor the Burninator!

For Halloween dinner this year we decided to do something fun so I made baked jack casserole -- basically beef & peppers & seasonings baked in a pumpkin, and wormy apples for dessert (baked apples with gummi worms poked in them). Yum! (thanks for the recipes, Mom B!)

And what did the girls dress up as? What else but:


Goldilocks and Baby Bear

Katie made it difficult to take pictures, because she kept doing this:


runrunrun!

We had originally planned on being the THREE bears, but after 2 months' searching I could NOT find bear ears anywhere. Apparently you're only allowed to be a pussycat or playboy bunny, but not a teddy bear. Mr. Pickles improvised very cleverly, however, and I think he made a very convincing Papa Bear Just Returned From Work:


Goldilocks and the Two Bears

I stayed home and ate- I mean, handed out candy. Miriam came back with quite a bit of plunder. You know, there's nothing like that sweet smell of Halloween candy, that divine combination of chocolate and artificial fruit flavoring. It brings back all sorts of fond childhood memories. :) Now we've gone all through the good stuff and there's only hard candies and nasty chewy things left. (All the good chocolate disappeared after a day or two, as it usually does if Mrs. Pickles has anything to do with it.) :b

2 comments:

  1. Love the costumes! You should have come by our house. I bought 5 bags of candy because my neighbor said we'd go through 3 to 4 and I wanted to be safe. We never even got through handing out the first bag. So, we've been eating LOTS of Reeses Pieces. You can imagine what it's doing to our complexions and my weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Trogdor pumpkin. Did anybody know what it was?

    I'm glad some of our traditions live on. I made the pumpkin casserole this year, too. I found out it's even better if you cook it in a "pie" pumpkin, which is sweeter and more flavorful than the carving pumpkins. I asked the produce guy if they had eating pumpkins and he took me to the display -- in the flower department!

    The girls are adorable! (And Papa Bear is cute, too!)

    There was an article in the paper today that reported on a dentist who says that it's better to eat all your Halloween candy as soon as possible rather than eating just a little each day and making it last. Seems you get fewer cavities that way. So you're on the right track! (He didn't say what it does to your waistline, though.)

    BTW, we had about 80 trick-or-treaters this year. Lots of them were little, kids, too.

    ReplyDelete