Mrs. Pickles came down with flu-like symptoms on Sunday, so she basically needed rest for the day. I recalled from Katie's birth (nearly a year ago) that I needed to give myself some sort of direction and goals for the day, or else I'd be lost on what to do. Here was my list for the day:
- Vacuum
- Wash and Dry diapers
- Make Dinner
- Buy razors
- Play with daughters
- Work for about 2 hours from home (project deadlines looming)
- Bathe girls
There were many other small items that didn't make the big list (such as put girls to bed, make lunches). I'm happy to say that I accomplished nearly all of those tasks, but I still wouldn't have done it without my wife. Since she alone could nurse Katie, that time allowed me some child free time to work on dinner and make lunches undisturbed. I was also able to go shopping for some needed items during Miriam's nap time, but only because my wife wasn't napping at the same time. It is certainly a difficult job of juggling that wife accomplishes each day.
Bathing both girls at once is an adventure in keeping my children safe. I put both girls in the tub at the same time. Though she is a very steady and sturdy walker, I still need to use Katie's bath tub for her. Without it she spends all of her time trying to stand up, fall down, and drown herself. Regardless of its use, I have to watch Miriam to make certain that she doesn't drown Katie by dumping about 3 cups of water on Katie's head. Despite their joint attempts to make Miriam numero uno in Mr. Pickle's will, bathtime was a lot of fun. The girls spent so much time splashing and laughing at each other. It was such a riot. I also get wet, of course, but that simply adds to the fun. (I don't think my wife likes water fights,..., and she's the only one in the house with a squirt gun.)
Overall, yesterday was definitely the hardest day of work I've had in awhile--but certainly well worth the effort. This picture pretty much shows how I felt around 6:00 p.m., and yesterday's experience also reinforced why Mrs. Pickles is so happy to see me when I come home. In the evening Miriam gave me a huge hug after saying goodnight, and Katie walked up to me to lay her head on my chest and give a love pat. It was the best compensation I've received all year for a hard day's work. Nevertheless, I'm glad that my wife is the one who wants to work at home.
Hope everyone is feeling better over there now. Thankfully, I haven't been sick yet since Anne Marie was born. Hopefully I'll get the same kind of help when that happens. My DH and I were discussing that a couple days ago . . .
ReplyDeleteYou are such a good husband! You earned about a bazillion brownie points, I'm sure, and many extra jewels in your heavenly crown! I hope Mrs. Pickles realizes what a prize husband she has in you. Most stay-at-home moms of pre-schoolers would give both arms and a leg for that kind of help! (I speak from much experience!)
ReplyDeleteMom B,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind affirmation. Genevieve can make it some days, such as when she has a cold. Since my work is not live shatteringly important for lots of people, I think that aiding my wife is a moral responsibility, and an act to tell her that I love her.
For me, that kind of assistance has also always been logical. I even worked it out mathematically. As someone who enjoys pure math (and not the icky applied stuff that I do), I think you'll understand this proof.
Assume: Wife will get well quickly.
2 children under 5 +
housewifery = no rest
Flu = required rest
But no rest != rest
(!= means "not equal")
Therefore, I cannot assume that my wife will get well quickly.
QED (Proof by contradiction)
As proved by contradiction, my wife will not get well quickly as long as she has 2 children to look after while she's sick. It makes sense to me.
I also believe that without the aid of another person, the time until wellness tends to approach infinity, especially as the number of children increases (though this is lessened as the children become older and can help you). There is no proof yet for this theory.
I think there may be some attempts to disprove my theories, but I assume such attempts typically require the use of imaginary numbers.
To all of you non-math nerds, thank you for indulging me. And thank you to my mom for forcing me to cook when I lived under your roof. :)