Saturday, September 28, 2019

Summer days, driftin' away...

Now that fall's here, it's time to talk about summer!

this was supposed to be our nice, calm, month "off"

 Summer was... tiring.

we heard fussing at the top of the stairs, and then suddenly we didn't

Tiger Swallowtail (our state insect) on the hydrangeas.  The plants are in a sorry condition now, but they were lovely in June.

 We took forever to finish school this year.  I hate leaving things undone, because I feel like we might miss something important, plus there's a certain satisfaction in having mastered an entire book.  So we were still doing school well into July, which really ended up being a mistake, as anyone who has tried it knows.  Miriam's community college classes started halfway thru August, poor kid, so she didn't get much of a break at all. 

At any rate, in Geography the big boys learned about several countries together and made "passports" with pictures of themselves in native costume.  ...Well, native-ish.

el matador was having an emotionally difficult day, I guess

los hombres de España son solemnes

...más o menos

the 4th
 
I hope I live a long, long life so I can enjoy 43 more years of this

this boy loves him some math puzzles

Library Day. (quietest day in the week)

good big sister -- doing her homework outside so the little boys have company






he is amazingly trusting that we won't step on him, considering he is covering the ENTIRE step

guess who was accepted to Steubenville!!
We didn't really take a family vacation this summer -- our road trip to Ohio was as much as we got together.  Otherwise we all split up -- Katie had had her week of horse camp in Ohio, Miriam went to her mission trip to the Dominican Republic (rumor has it she's working on a blog post about it), I went to California for a week to make sure my parents didn't starve after my mom's knee surgery, and Mr. Pickles had a stats conference in Denver.  The boys spent pretty much every waking moment playing with the neighbors -- either the house was really quiet, or really loud.

The girls were super busy.  Miriam was still working at the parish in the music ministry office twice a week, plus getting together with her friends every chance she got.  Once her classes started she had to stop working -- now the poor music director is scrambling to find someone as awesome as Miriam was. :)  Katie once again helped out with summer camps, teaching kids how to make their own pac-man games and such.  She worked a ton -- the director of the program can't pay her actual money, but as a "token of her appreciation" will give her gift cards to the vendor of her choice.  She earned so much that she was able to buy herself a laptop.  Miriam is a little jealous.

When I wasn't driving various teenagers to their various jobs and activities, we spent as much time as we could totally vegging out.  The kids hardly made it to the pool at all -- I wasn't in the mood to do any more driving than was absolutely necessary.  (Has anyone else noticed an exponential increase in the nastiness of drivers lately?)  Miriam and I read a ton of Dorothy Sayers.  There's nothing like a good murder mystery to help you relax -- why is that??

I wasn't ready to start planning the school year until the last possible second -- I wanted to extract every moment of goofing off that I legitimately could before I had to pretend once again to be a productive member of society.  But now it's back to the grind!