Friday, June 30, 2017

On Lessons in Detachment

So, last November this happened:
:(
I'll give you 6 guesses who caused this, and the first 5 don't count.

Dominic aka Conan the Destroyer was sitting on my lap while I was slowly sipping my morning cup of consciousness and attempting to have a rational conversation with Katie, when he lunged forward at light speed and knocked the bally thing off the table.  The worst of it is that Katie and I were both RIGHT there -- but he was so dang quick that we could only watch in horror as the mug landed with a heart-rending smash.

What makes it so sad is that this was my china shepherdess:  it was given to me when I was a student in Gaming, Austria, and had survived a transatlantic flight and several moves over the last 20 years.  I loved the shape and used it for my morning cuppa every day.  The kids all respected it and wouldn't touch it, lest it get broken.  I think Katie mourned over it as much as I did.

Well, all things must pass away, I suppose.  And really, you can't get angry with a baby.  It's not allowed.

So I got out the super glue and patched it back together so I could at least keep it as a reminder of that amazing semester.
It's not usable for its inteded purpose, however.

Enter My Hero, Mr. Pickles.

He did extensive research to try to find a mug to replace my Austrian one.  He couldn't find an exact match, but he came pretty close!
and not one, but TWO!
He is so good to me. :)