Sunday, March 29, 2015

Valentine's Day -- and the Last Big Snow

(at least we hope)

Well, Winter is not letting go gracefully.  We've had a couple lovely spring days here and there, but they are vastly outnumbered by the lousy winter-in-its-death-throes ones.  I'm actually trying to plant stuff this year, but I have to wait until the silly nights stop freezing.  The bulbs are coming up, though, so there is hope that spring will eventually come -- hopefully before our lovely Virginia summer catches up.

So, Valentine's Day.  Mr. Pickles is a die-hard grillmaster.  Any day it's above freezing is fair game for grilling, according to him. 

I am NOT complaining.  Grilled steak in February?  Why, yes, please!

He finished just in the nick of time, too:
that's dedication right there.
A couple weeks later:
those snowballs molded in preparation for battle thawed and re-froze into ice balls -- they probably would have been lethal had they actually been used


sorry, Boston, couldn't help ya out
One of the things I love about snow is how bright it makes everything.  This next one was taken at night.  I had to lighten it up a bit for the screen, but this is what it looked like to human eyes.

winter morning

I never realize how much of a major highway our yard is for the local fauna until I can see all the tracks left.

won't be using that for a little while...

poor oppressed bush -- wet snow is heavy

after its release (helpful children were more than willing to beat the snow off with sticks)

it was SO bright in the dining room we had to put out the awning!
So long, Winter!  You were pretty while you lasted.  Now it's time to bid you farewell until next year.

...please?

No comments:

Post a Comment