Monday, May 28, 2012

I'm not joining Google+ either.

Even though I no longer have a Facebook account, I still find myself thinking in terms of status updates that I wish I could share with everyone.  You know, just the funny little moments of the day.  No, I'm not going to reactivate my account.  Every time I consider it, I think of what a dangerous time suck it was for me, plus all the times my blood pressure rose whenever I'd come across a thoughtless comment by someone who Ought To Know Better.  I'm also not singing up for Twitter (for the less admirable, irrational reason that it is an Unknown).  Although maybe a twitterfeed in the sidebar is the way to go.  I must cogitate upon this matter.

Meanwhile, here are some non-Facebook, non-Twitter statweets that have been burning holes in my brain the last few weeks.

----------




Seriously??  THAT'S who August W. Booth really is?  His coolness rating just went down a couple notches, imho.  Never would have pegged him as that FTL character.  (Get it?  "Pegged?"  yuk yuk yuk)

-----

We just had a make-way-for-ducklings moment!!  Except in our case, it was "Make Way for Goslings."  As we were driving up Van Dorn St. during rush hour this evening,  all traffic came to a halt to allow a family of geese, with seven half-grown goslings, to cross the road.  Even the taxi cab stopped!  (Thus proving that they are still capable of human feeling.)  We all marveled at the sight, as Joseph piped up, "Hey, it's like my ducklings book!"  Then he said in a more worried voice, "They should have a policeman!"  I told him that at least they crossed at an intersection with a traffic light.

-----

My new conditioner smells like beer.  Which would be fine, if it weren't supposed to smell like apricots instead.  Kinda wonder what was going on in THAT testing lab.

-----

Daniel has a new word.  "Di-din!  Di-din!" which is, of course, "Tintin."  The other night he cut short his snuggle-nursing time so I could read Tintin to him.

-----

I saw my first Cake Wreck!!  For funsies I was checking out the decorated cakes in the bakery at the grocery store, and I saw a graduation cake that said, "Congratulations!  The best is yes to be."  (Obviously encouraging Shakespeare students that "to be" is better than "not to be.")  I laughed and walked on, wishing I had a camera phone to document it.

But THEN!  A couple days later I came back, and the cake was STILL THERE, and someone had decided to fix it, to hilarious effect.  The "s" in "yes" had very obviously been wiped off and replaced with a "t" -- in a different color!!  I really, REALLY wished I had a camera phone.

-----

Our property is death to birds, apparently.  Remember the wren's nest we saw being assembled?  Well, the nest is still there, with eggs in it, but the parents have abandoned it.  (Maybe they got annoyed by all the times we peeked in the bag to check on the nest and freaked out the mother wren.)  Very sad. :(  Then the girls were ecstatic to discover that robins had built a nest RIGHT outside their bedroom window, and kept a careful watch over the mother robin sitting on her little blue eggs.  Every time we walked out the front door the parent robins would throw a fit.  But one sad day we saw a crow in the tree, eying the nest.  Miriam successfully chased it away using her trademarked effective method of barking at it.  But then the next day there were no eggs to be seen in the nest. :(

WARNING TO BIRDS: DO NOT LAY EGGS ON OUR PROPERTY.  WE ARE CURSED.

-----

Okay, I broke down and created a twitter account.  I will test it and determine if it is Worthy of The Pickles Sidebar.  I'm annoyed by the fact that I have so few characters to work with.  I may send it the way of my facebook account.  Time Will Tell.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the little "status updates"!

    I'll be honest... I miss seeing your comments on FB. Mostly because little status updates are easier and less time-consuming than reading a blog post. (Not saying I don't like the blog posts! I love those too! =) )

    It makes me a little sad that you also miss all the little status updates Joe and I post about the boys that are best left as a tiny paragraph and not worthy of a blog post.

    I have used Twitter a few times, but it's really annoying how you're limited in characters. Not to mention the hashtags kinda drive me nuts.

    Good luck with it, though! Maybe it'll work out! =)

    And keep the little statuses coming! ^_^

    ReplyDelete