Monday, November 08, 2010

Back from Retreat

With a soul all fresh and sparkley-new! I even made it all the way to 9:30 this morning without yelling once at the kids! :)

Thanks to everyone who was praying for me -- I could really feel your prayers surrounding me. It was a wonderful weekend -- something I was much in need of. Half the beauty of the weekend was in the location itself -- this amazing stone English-style mansion on gorgeous grounds in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns. I kept expecting to run into Bertie Wooster around every corner. And the stars at night!! There were so many, I had a hard time picking out the constellations I knew.

I took Daniel with me on the retreat -- I was so happy they accommodate babies. There were two other moms with babies, and I think the rest of the retreatants were grandmothers who missed their grandbabies, so I didn't have any trouble finding someone willing to hold Daniel so I could go to confession, or eat a meal. It was very nice spending the weekend with him alone -- we both got very spoiled.

I've been feeling so overwhelmed lately that I really needed a weekend free from all responsibility, to be able to rest in the Lord and renew my spirit. I still have a ways to go before I will feel whole again, but I was able to be still and let the Holy Spirit show me some essentials that had gotten buried under the stuff of my life. I came home with some ideas for daily strengthening my relationship with God the Father, as well as taking the time each day to be renewed, so I don't get so burned out again. It will be a little while before I can get away for a weekend again (until Daniel is weaned, pretty much), but I've realized the importance of regular mini-retreats to recharge my spiritual batteries and remind me of what's really important when I get too busy and anxious about many things.

Thanks again for all the prayers, and especially to Theresa for her example and encouragement to go on this retreat -- and also to the wonderful Mr. Pickles for making it possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment