Nine months after his sisters, Joseph has reached the Language Explosion Stage. When I first started writing this post almost a month ago, he was still getting the hang of this whole talking thing. But all of a sudden he's developed quite the vocabulary, even stringing a few words together to make toddler sentences (like "owie - head - door"). And he's been mastering l's and r's, which I thought was pretty advanced for this age. (I love how he says "shlockit" for chocolate.) However, he still needs some translation -- he's progressed from Old Solar to some Chinese (I think) mixed with English. At any rate, he has a hard time with beginning consonants. He likes replacing them all with initial f's, which can be really cute or really hilarious. Here are some frequent toddler gems:
faw -- straw
feep -- sweep
fain -- train
feeve -- sleeve
fippy -- slippy
fink -- drink
fee -- tree
foshesh -- (St.) Joseph
fuss -- bus
&#@! -- truck (by far his favorite word, naturlich)
...Or as Mr. Pickles says, there's nothing like coming home from work and hearing your toddler dropping f-bombs all over the place.
Ah, these are the golden moments we savor, because we know we can use them as ammo when the children become obnoxious teenagers. (tee hee hee...)
But he says it SO very cutely!
ReplyDeleteBetter keep that bar of soap handy! =p
ReplyDelete~ The Resident Murloc
I still remember Stephanie's nephew at the airport...his favorite toy was a dump truck, and he had the same pronunciation at the time -- except it sounded even more derogatory with a "dumb" in front of it! :)
ReplyDelete