Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Homeschoolers don't get snow days.

However, they do get 3-hour recesses followed by hot chocolate in front of the fireplace. And they DON'T have snow make-up days in the middle of June when by rights they ought to be swimming in the pool.

So, here we go, it's snowing AGAIN. Like, blizzarding snowing.

It's very blowy and cold. Don't think we'll be going outside today.

Yeah, go ahead and laugh, you happy little snowmen. YOU might like it when it's 17* outside, but those of us made of flesh and blood get tired of it after a while.

Actually, we're holding up very well. Mr. Pickles is now on Day 6 of being at home, since DC is simply shut down. It's like being on vacation! (And who knows when the streets will be passable enough to sustain rush hour traffic again!) We're all getting very spoiled. And I'm trying not to feel stir crazy. I'm just sooooo grateful all our power lines are underground, so we've been one of the lucky ones whose power never went out.

We went out shopping for groceries yesterday, important stuff like more chips and bacon. Mr. Pickles the Minnesnowtan drove, so Li'l Miss California wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck in the slush or slipping on the ice (which had formed from the unplowed snow the previous day melting in the sun and then freezing overnight). The store was strip-mined -- the milk and eggs were GONE. I was surprised to see some bread on the shelves -- that truck must have made it through. And once again it took us 20 minutes to get through the checkout line. We bought bagels to keep the munchkins pacified. I hope the dairy trucks get through soon -- I don't know what we're going to do if we can't make hot chocolate!! :)

And the snow is still pretty to look at.

I wish WE had an outdoor skating rink.

5 comments:

  1. You could invest in instant hot cocoa packets. Y'know, the kind made with water. I know, I know, it's inferior to whole milk hot chocolate, but in the event of an emergency, which I think your scenario qualifies as, it'll do.

    Also, you can make a degree sign (°) by holding down alt and on the numeric keypad typing "0176". The symbol will appear when you release the alt key (make sure numlock is on). Alternatively, you can use the Character Map (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools) to copy the symbol to the clipboard so it can be pasted into your text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you guys still have power and are making the most of your snow days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Houghton (Da Tech) weather. 10 months of snow and 2 months of damn poor sledding...
    -Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that picture! It's in our Art Memo game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll stick to my 80° weather. O_O

    ~ The Resident Murloc

    ReplyDelete