Saturday, February 06, 2010

Not Quite Buried...

...but pretty close.

The snow started at just about 10 Friday morning. I had an 11:30 doctor appointment that I had already had to reschedule twice, so I figured if I could still get around, I wasn't going to postpone it again. It wasn't that cold yet, so none of the snow falling actually stuck to the road. It was very wet, though, so you still had to drive carefully, plus visibility was pretty poor (although driving in snow is cool -- it's like flying through the stars).

By the evening, it looked like this outside:

The kids spent several hours outside in the afternoon. Because the snow was still so wet, they came in completely SOAKED. Miriam says she froze her toes. I had to dry the neighbor girl's things before I could send her home in good conscience.

Warming up is the best part.

This is what greeted us this morning.



(this last one courtesy of the resident 5yo photographer.) (and yes, we're living in the past)

The snow even covered part of the storm door -- Mr. Pickles spent hours clearing off the steps and walk, and digging a path around the van. I should have measured the thickness right here.

Oh wait, that's right, I did -- the snow is Joseph-waist-high. He doesn't appreciate being used as a ruler. He says it's cold.


I love the neighbor's wipers poking out of the snow, like two little antennae! The neighborhood plow has been working diligently all day -- not that you could tell. In 10 minutes everything was just whited out again. The snow finally stopped this evening just before dinner. Who knows when all the streets will be safe enough to drive, though.

So, since we're not going anywhere for a while, today we:

-completely rearranged the girls' bedroom
-vacuumed their whole room
-reorganized all their bins of dress up clothes, doll clothes, purses, dollies, and animals
-found lots of missing socks, in addition to old bandaids (ew)
-rehung the pictures in their room
-played in the snow
-ran the dryer
-drank hot chocolate to warm up
-answered the doorbell approximately 147 times
-repeated 147 times to neighborhood friends that the girls' things would be dry in an hour
-made rice krispy treats and dyed them blue in honor of the ice and snow
-played Uno while eating blue rice krispy treats
-rejoiced mightily when the dryer was finally done
-played in the snow again
-toasted toes in front of the fireplace
-ran the dryer for the 293rd time today
-had ice cream cones for dessert
-cleaned up after one child who ate dinner, then an ice cream cone, then a double-stuff Oreo, then spun around and around the kitchen until the inevitable happened

I'm beginning to regret moving around the girls' dresser. And with Mr. Pickles' marathon shoveling, we're both pretty creaky tonight!

And now, to do it all again tomorrow! I think we'll make brownies, play with Oobleck, watch a movie, and, of course, play in the snow.

Oh, and it's supposed to snow again on Tuesday. I wonder if any of the grocery stores will have restocked by Tuesday morning. I think I'm going to follow Theresa's example and get up reeeeeally early to shop before the rest of the galloping hordes.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say that's a full day! At least you can't say that you're bored on snow days. :)

    ReplyDelete