Friday, January 09, 2009

Yum Yum Doodle Dum!

Well, I've been working on this post for two weeks now, and haven't been able to finish the other movie I wanted to add, so I figured I better just post what I have before summer comes! :)

So Joseph started solids when he was about 7 months old. We started with bananas, which he wasn't sure about the first time. He kept giving us this look, like, "What IS this? Are you folks trying to POISON me or something?" He kept opening his mouth for it, though, so I guess he didn't find it totally disgusting, just... weird.

Since then we've introduced a new food each week, progressing through various fruits and vegetables, grains, and meats. The latest introduction last week was homemade yogurt, which he wasn't too sure about -- but today he ate a whole bowl of it and cried when he ran out! We're saving the allergy-prone things like wheat, corn, egg whites and milk until after his 1st birthday. So far, so good -- he hasn't had a reaction to anything yet, and hasn't outright refused to eat anything, although he wasn't too crazy about hard-boiled egg yolks by themselves. (He'll eat them mixed in his oatmeal or yogurt, though.)

Like a typical man, Joseph LOVES eating. :) The first few feeds I had to fight him for the spoon, but now he's very receptive, like a baby bird. It's SO cute. He even has a happy dance that he does while he's being fed.



AND a happy song.



Remind you of anyone, Mom B? :) (Now that he's mastered the pincer grasp he's discovered the happy world of Cheerios -- God's Gift to Parents.)

He loves eating so much that he gets VERY upset when we stand up while we're SUPPOSED to be feeding him. Priorities, people! Fortunately we have two good helpers who are more than willing to shovel food into him if needed.


So far I also haven't had to buy any commercial baby foods -- we make all our own. It's SO easy. True, it takes more time than opening a jar, and can be a nuisance when he's hungry and I realize that I've run out of his frozen supply. But this way I KNOW (and can pronounce) what exactly is in his baby oatmeal or pureed chicken. And as anybody who has ever tried a sample of baby food knows, real food tastes WAYYYY better. Joseph's on baby vitamins too, just to make sure he's getting all the extras he needs (especially iron) until his diet rounds out more.

Mmm, good to the last dollop.

2 comments:

  1. I love those chubby little arms and fingers! Does he smash peas on his tray like his mother?

    The singing must be hereditary -- you used to sing/yell at your food, too. And Joseph's probably dancing to the swing music in the background -- makes you want to move!

    I know home-made baby food can be lots more nutritious that the commercial stuff, if you make sure you prepare and store it properly. But one of the best things about store-bought baby food is those nifty little bottles. I'm still using old baby food jars to store various things like buttons and hair elastics. They also make good bug jars. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just last week, I was placed in an unfortunate situation where I was "forced" to eat baby food.

    I was at a party and I was suckered into playing a game. (I didn't know what I was getting myself into.) About 8 of us stood in a circle while we passed a spatula to the right. Whenever the designated person outside of the circle said "stop", whoever was left with the spatula had to reach into a garbage bag and pull out a jar of baby food.

    .... Ya.... I ended up with Macaroni and cheese with meat or something like that. The first bite was gross, but I handled it. After about the 4th spoonful, I thought I was going to puke. That is one of the nastiest things I have ever tasted! No wonder babies throw it up and turn their heads. They're not stupid!

    After that game, I have become convinced to do my best to make my own baby food when I have kids rather than subject them to the torture of canned baby food.

    -Tine

    ReplyDelete