Monday, December 03, 2007

The Mother of Invention (not to mention creativity)

After our experience with those sorry Advent candles last year, I've been thinking about ways to make Advent candles last longer than one week each, aside from only burning them on Sundays, that is. So this year we're using....

Advent pillar candles! If these don't last, nothing will.

Naturally, I waited until the last possible second (Sunday morning) to procure Advent candles, and equally as naturally you can't find pink or purple candles anywhere. So we're going with plain white decorated with the proper colors. (Well, I tried to find plain white, but could only find scented. Oh darn, I guess my whole house is just going to have to smell like yummy vanilla!) I tried burning last year's candles and using the melted wax to paint a design on, but only succeeded in scorching the toothpick I was using. (I'm new to this whole candle decorating thing.) But Crayola markers worked exceedingly well. :) FYI the 3 purple candles say "Veni," and the pink one says "Gaude."

Veni, veni Emanuel!
Captivum solve Israel!
Qui gemit in exilio,
Privatus Dei Filio.
Gaude! Gaude! Emanuel
Nascetur pro te, Israel.

4 comments:

  1. Clever! You could tie purple and pink ribbon around the bases if you want more color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I might end up doing that too. I just had limited time at the craft store this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the Catholic bookstore thinking I had finally learned to outsmart the retail stores. Ding dong, I was wrong. Would you believe that the only tapers they had in stock did NOT fit the only wreaths they had in stock. The lady told me to wrap the bottoms with tin foil. I must be doing something wrong because the only thing I've succeeded in doing is having created a fire hazard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the Catholic bookstore thinking I had finally learned to outsmart the retail stores. Ding dong, I was wrong. Would you believe that the only tapers they had in stock did NOT fit the only wreaths they had in stock. The lady told me to wrap the bottoms with tin foil. I must be doing something wrong because the only thing I've succeeded in doing is having created a fire hazard!

    ReplyDelete