Sunday, June 24, 2007

Stwahbies!

A couple weeks ago we went strawberry picking at a local pick-your-own farm. They were SOOOO good. It was hard not eating them all in the field! The girls were actually excellent helpers this time. Now that Katie knows her colors, we could tell her to pick the pretty red ones, and not the white or mushy ones. Both the girls looked so cute surrounded by rows of strawberry plants. Of course, we forgot to bring the camera, as usual. But here's evidence of our haul:

mmm, I can almost smell them again.

Strawberry picking is hard work!

Mommy's little helper. We're hulling and mashing them for jam.

The results. Mmmmmmm. Jam and shortcake.
I have to say that that strawberry shortcake, with homemade sweet biscuits, freshly picked strawberries, and vanilla ice cream, was THE best dessert that I have ever had in my whole life, and that includes all chocolate desserts I've ever had. So you KNOW that's saying a lot.
The jam tastes awesome, too. Unfortunately, I didn't have the right pectin. I only used half the sugar called for in the recipe, b/c the berries were soooo sweet. So the jam was actually pretty watery as I was canning it. I haven't opened a jar yet, but I have a feeling it's going to make better ice cream topping than jam. However, this stuff with creamy vanilla ice cream will transport you to a happy place, so it's no real loss. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment