Friday, November 24, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a quiet Thanksgiving Day this year, which suited us just right. I made a fairly simple dinner since there were only the four of us (half of which ate next to nothing).

The menu:
Roast Rock Cornish Game Hens with sage stuffing
Himmel und Erde (mashed potatoes & apples seasoned w/nutmeg)
Green Bean Casserole (is it Thanksgiving if you DON'T have this?)
a bottle of Riesling
and, of course, Pumpkin Pie w/whipped cream

Simple, but very yummy, if I do say so myself! I would have done a little more, but I threw my back out twice in the last couple weeks, and haven't fully recovered enough to do a full-out feast. Maybe for Christmas.

The girls helped decorate for the day:


(Katie had some help). Miriam's turkey has feet with seven toes, according to her. It's also wearing socks. I thought you should know.

I spent most of Wednesday trying to finish a new dress for Miriam to wear on Thanksgiving, since she only has one winter dress so far. (It's only just recently turned very cold, so she's been surviving on cooler dresses with a sweater.) Unfortunately I didn't quite finish in time -- I quit at 11pm with only the skirt to go. But I finally finished it today:


Can anyone say, "Mary Ingalls"? (I've got an idea for Halloween costumes for the girls next year...)

Now, I'm not normally this horrible of a procrastinator, saving it for the last minute like this -- I would have started working on it sooner if I had been able to do more than lie around and whine for the last couple weeks. :) Although I do find that I work better with a deadline...

Hope everyone had a peaceful holiday!

1 comment:

  1. Green bean casserole! I'd forgotten about that!

    Looks like you had a lovely dinner. Where did you get the recipe for the Himmel und Erde? (I love the name; it means "Heaven and Earth".)

    We went to Joe and Anne Marie's for Thanksgiving, so I didn't have to cook a turkey this year. I don't miss the work, but I do miss the yummy smells while it's cooking and the leftover turkey and dressing! Anne Marie fixed a delicious turkey with stuffing, as well as some of her family's Cuban favorites: steamed yucca, rice with black beans, and baked yams, with Spanish cider (mildly alcoholic - the same kind they had for their wedding). She served it on her wedding china with her crystal wine glasses. It was a lovely table. I think she enjoyed finally having a home big enough to do some entertaining.

    I love the dress you made for Miriam. She suddenly looks so much older!

    ReplyDelete