Yes! Katie gets her very own update today! We just can't get over how much she's doing these days. Six months has really been the big one for her.
SIX MONTH OLD MIRACLE BABY WALKS
Well, not quite: but in one month she's gone from rolling back to front to almost crawling! I'm trying really hard (and failing spectacularly) not to compare the two girls, but I honestly don't remember Miriam getting this mobile this quickly. Maybe it's b/c Miriam spent so much time on her belly in the early months that it seemed to take her forever to do anything exciting -- with Katie it's hardly been 2 whole months that she's gotten any quality tummy time. But she's certainly made up for it! About a week or so ago she figured out how to spin in circles and wobble back & forth to reach for toys (it's hilarious to watch her), and then last week she started doing pushups (which I can't even do), although she kept scootching herself backwards! But then yesterday she figured out how to dig in her toes to push herself FORWARD. Dun dun duuuuuuuuuuhn! Today it took her about 5 minutes to wobble & scoot her way halfway across the living room... to reach all of big sister's brightly colored books, stacked so neatly on the shelf, of course! Also of course, this couldn't be tolerated, so I came on the scene to behold Miriam hauling books off the shelf, out of Katie's reach, telling her that NO, books were not for babies! Ahhh, and so it begins! All in all though, Miriam has been pretty good about sharing toys with Katie. She's such a devoted big sister that I think she really wants to make Katie happy. She seems to draw the line at books though. (I'm guessing she gets this from her mother's side of the family....) :)
Sooooo... this weekend I think we're going to be doing some extensive babyproofing and thorough vacuuming. Earlier today I caught Katie trying to finish off tortilla chip crumbs which Miriam had dropped on the floor. Okay, what is it with little kids and itty bitty things?? You know the joke: you give a kid a toy, they take the toy out of the box, play with it for 10 seconds, chuck it aside and then play with the box. Why is this funny? Because it's TRUE! WHY do we still insist on buying toys for our kids? I can surround Katie with half a dozen interesting toys, and she'll ignore them all to play with a tortilla chip crumb. Or a bran flake crumb. Or a tiny piece of crayon paper. Or the leg of the table. She'll also pull her toy basket over and spread the toys all around her,

Exhibit A
and then play with the wicker! I can always tell she's doing this because she'll get REALLY quiet. (it's also SO true that you get nervous and suspicious when your kids get quiet) She gets really focused, trying to pick up some microscopic piece of fuzz.
SIX MONTH OLD MIRACLE BABY SPEAKS
Here is a transcript of a conversation Katie recently had with her toes:
[brows drawn together in concentration] Aaaaaaahhhhhhthhhhhbbbbbbbttttmmmmmmmmm[toes now in mouth]mmmmmm thpppmmmm thmppppmmmmm[trying to blow raspberries w/toes still in mouth] thbbbbtaaaaahhhhhhhhhHHHHH [drool now running down both cheek and foot] MA-MA-MA-MA-BA-BAAA!! AA!! AA!! thbbbbbbbppppppttt... [etc. etc.]
She seems to be most eloquent between the hours of 2 and 5 am, while her diaper is being changed. We often wake up to her zrbtting out her pacifier in the wee hours. Speaking of the wee hours...
SIX MONTH OLD DEMON CHILD REFUSES TO SLEEP
Our angelic baby who used to sleep in until 8 or 9 has taken to waking up to eat at 4 or 5, and then NOT GOING BACK TO SLEEP!!! Needless to say, it's driving us batty. Mommy cannot live on 5 hours of sleep a night. Well, maybe she can live, but her children certainly won't for very much longer. Since Mr. Evil Sun has taken to rising at about the same time, we're going to try a couple different things to make the room darker in the morning, in the hopes that darkness will encourage her to sleep longer. (white blinds on our two big windows just ain't doin' it) If nothing works we'll move Katie's crib into the basement and invest in a couple pairs of earplugs. (ha ha, just kidding) (well, almost) It's a good thing she's so cute.

Exhibit B
Kids' cuteness is definitely a survival trait. And speaking of cuteness...
SIX MONTH OLD RAPUNZEL GETS FIRST HAIRCUT
Okay, so her hair isn't golden, but Katie's hair is definitely LONG -- almost as long as Miriam's was at her first birthday! I had to cut her bangs the other day b/c they kept getting in her eyes. I love her hair -- it's so soft and silky and thick -- it's gotten over the fuzzy stick-straight-up phase. She still gets some pretty awesome bedhead, though. (you can see a little remnant in Ex. B above) I'm sure both my girls will want to chop all their hair off when they're teenagers, so I'm enjoying their luxuriant tresses while they have them. :)
DA-DA-LA DA-DA-LA DA-DA-LA DA-DA-LA THIS HAS BEEN A KATIE UPDATE
No comments:
Post a Comment