| kindly ignore the giant watering pillar of ugliness |
So... what should I plant there?
| Japanese maple behind it, new sandbox to the left, dying bleeding heart to the far left |
| lilacs to the right |
Now I love creeping phlox -- I just discovered what it was this spring. Would that be too flat and boring for the whole box? It's 8' square. Or maybe I could plant two things -- one that blooms in spring, one in summer? I currently don't have anything in the back that's blooming right now -- the crepe myrtles are glorious right now but they are all in the front. Actually, I take that back -- there is also a small hibiscus that's putting out a few tentative blooms, but they're not visible from the dining room.
| (view from dining room, with "empty" box dead center) |
I don't want anything too tall, since I don't really want whatever I plant to compete with the maple or lilac behind, which leaves out forsythia, which I also love. (Forsythia is also a plain-looking hedge 11/12 of the year.) Also, it HAS to be a perennial, since I know myself well enough to accept that I cannot keep up with an annual bed. I have two pots lining the driveway in which I was supposed to keep fresh annuals, and they are a sad, sad sight. (I'm not going to humiliate myself by posting a picture of THAT, nossir.)
So: flowering perennial(s), not too tall, shade-tolerant, possibly blooming mid-summer. Oh, also not poisonous to children. Important to put that in there too.
Recommendations?
No comments:
Post a Comment