Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Beach Getaway

A few days after I returned from California, Mr. Pickles took us all on a real vacation to Bethany Beach, DE.  I say Mr. Pickles took us b/c my only requirement for this trip was that I wouldn't have to do any planning whatsoever, after already having to plan and execute two big trips.  Mr. Pickles is amazing, y'all.  He put this all together, with the only input from me being my opinion on a couple beach houses.  I helped the kids pack their clothes and got together the beach stuff, but that's the fun part.  He even made tons of food to bring (because allergies) and planned out meals (he grilled every day) and packed the coolers and everything.

A-maz-ing, I tell you.

There's not too much else to say about the days we were there.  September at the beach is the best.  The water is warm and the air is not too hot, and there are not many other people on the beach so it was quiet.  We had to miss a couple classes and drama rehearsals of Miriam's that week, and had to come back a little earlier than we wanted b/c we didn't want her to miss her ice skating class.  (High schooler's schedule pretty much dominates the family schedule.)  I had considered bringing some schoolwork to fill in extra time so we wouldn't get behind, but when it came to actually packing I just couldn't do it.  I decided we all just needed a total break from all responsibility (aside from keeping people fed, of course).

It was glorious.

Day 1

our beach paradise!  the living areas were on the THIRD FLOOR.

the house was a short walk from the beach


those big things coming at me are noisy!  I'm not sure if I should be afraid of them or not.
The sunset our first evening there was absolutely glorious.  These pictures aren't doing it justice a-tall.



that's a little better

Day 2




Nicky's own personal ocean

high tide was awesome!  it came up over the sand hills, and made these little puddles perfect for the small people.



the traditional Burying of the Sister in the Sand

we made a channel between two of the high tide pools -- it took forever b/c the seawater kept soaking into the sand.  it was quite an accomplishment when we finally got the water to stay


Day 3

Katie's shell collection after the first 24 hours.  we ended up bringing home 2 bucketfuls which I allowed only on the condition that they didn't come into the house.  ...they're currently sitting in the entryway.




playing in the sun all day is Hard Work

Katie making friends with sand crabs

I have few pictures of Daniel b/c he was constantly moving.  he was a wild man!

yep, we're at sea level!

gets a little chilly in the evenings!

Day 4

Sadly, Mr. Pickles did actually have to do some real work on vacation, so I got the kids out of the house one day so he could concentrate and hear his conference call.  The neighborhood had a little playground, so we spent some time there (no pictures).  We also... went to the beach!
too engrossed in his book to swim!

Katie the mermaid!



that one caught her by surprise! (these were some pretty serious waves)

Day 5

Daaaad, is dinner ready yet?

Mini golfing! (had to have some variety)

you've heard of a water hazard, well this is the baby hazard!  I actually made a shot between his legs

Daniel: "Andy plays golf like it's hockey."   (his average stroke score per hole was about 17)


didn't quiiiiite want to let go of the ball...

when we weren't at the beach, we were either reading or working on this giant puzzle.  took us all week to finish it!

the boys also invented a game using a Walking Dead game board and little Sesame Street figures from Happy Meals, both found in a drawer.  I'm not sure of the rules but I think it involved lots of explosions.

Day 6 -- Last Day

going to the beach to watch the sunrise


sandpipers!

definitely worth getting up for.



Joseph got very good at imitating seagulls.

It was a lovely, lovely week; very restful and life-giving.

Aaaaaaand then we came home.

But at least we all felt reinvigorated and ready to attack another school year!

1 comment:

  1. This is the happiest collection of pictures ever. I love them all so much! It's not the same thing as west coast beach, bit it's awfully pretty! What a great, great vacation! Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete