Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Winter Wonderlandiness

I should probably just subtitle every post with "Wait, I didn't publish this yet?"

Am I allowed to talk about weather?  Please?  I promise I won't complain about it...

This is actually the first February that I haven't loathed in a while.  Look!  It's so pretty!

reason number zillion to be grateful to the previous owners who moved to Texas
And we have a snowblower now!  That makes a HUGE difference.  Even when the snow is so wet and heavy that it occasionally has to be scooped out of the blower with a giant metal cooking spoon.

Sorry for the tree -- this was the best shot from the living room window.
I love the look of snow on the ground, even several days later when it's no longer fluffy.  Of course, I'm not the one who spent 3 hours shoveling it -- I got to stay inside with the baby and make hot chocolate and run the dryer.

 I only wish Virginia snow plow operators knew how to clear a street -- their favorite way of plowing seems to be 1 1/2 lanes -- or plowing a lane completely, until an intersection, at which point they will dump all their snow on the corners.  This effectively blocks all turn lanes and half the through lanes with what become impenetrable ice blocks a couple days later.

But I'm not complaining!  I'd much rather it were white and icy and difficult to get around than brown and dead everywhere.

Everyone's been getting as much outside time as possible -- and I think this is a first, but at least one child has admitted to me that she is about ready for spring.

Andy prefers riding in style, as opposed to having to walk in his Evil Snow Boots.
I think some people might also be tired of being cold.

And she wonders why she's always running out of socks...  well, wearing FIVE PAIRS at a time might do that!
----------

Since I first wrote this post, it warmed up and thawed most of the snow (except for hardiest ice blocks).  It was lovely and spring-like this past weekend -- we had windows open and some small people were running around in short sleeves.  I drew the line at sandals, though.

And then it snowed again today. 

It's melting quickly, though.  Yay for mud!

I feel a real kinship with the Dennistons from That Hideous Strength -- I love weather of all kinds.  And not just to complain about it, either.

3 comments:

  1. Huh. Your grass is white and your palm trees have no fronds.

    Virginia is weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only that, but SUNNY days are COLD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate! But, Ohio snow plowers have same technique! Narrow streets, intersections with no turn lanes, and piles of snow. Luckily it's all melted for us now, too! By the way, Lucy wears several pairs of socks at a time, too!! Hahahaha! And now it's the season of cleaning off muddy shoes. :) Rachel

    ReplyDelete