Thursday, March 07, 2013

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Backstory: we're decluttering.  Currently that means slogging through the boxes of paper that breed in the basement.  I pulled out one manilla envelope from one box, and have spent the last half hour reliving my junior year of high school.

In said envelope, in no particular order:

-several brochures for Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, and Universal Studios
-cards from my Confirmation
-paraphernalia from World Youth Day '93
-evaluations from a Bach Festival I played in
-notes from a talk given by Alice von Hildebrand
-a bag of prehistoric shark teeth
-an itinerary for a trip to Disneyland printed out on a dot matrix printer (it has your handwriting on it, Rie)
-math flash cards from 3rd grade
-a program from the June 7, 1992 piano recital at the Studio of Mary Feyk (we played all the "I Haven't Practiced" songs by Paul Sheftel -- remember those, Dave and Joe?)
-a ticket for a 1992 Pirates vs. Cubs game at Three Rivers Stadium

People, there are many, many more envelopes like these, lurking in the basement.  And in my closet, too.  My only thought looking at them is, holy carp, I'm an obsessive packrat!  Why, WHY, did I keep all these things?  And secondly, why did I pay real live American dollars to ship them all out here??

3 comments:

  1. You should SO make a huge memory scrap book out of all those things! It's a trip down memory lane! Probably why you still have them.

    To someone it may be a simple piece of paper, but to you it has a story. And stories can be shared with the next generation, and the generation after that.

    I dunno. I think it's awesome you still have those! And, yes, I remember that Dland itinerary I printed on my mom's old dot matrix; totally my hand-doing! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I like the scrap book idea. Your kids might enjoy seeing some of those things in the future.

    You could also create a time capsule. Put some select items inside a box and seal it up until some future date.

    - Tine

    ReplyDelete