Monday, October 29, 2012

Andrew's Story

So when I was sitting around at the hospital, waiting for something to happen, I was thinking somewhat dejectedly, "Each of my other kids has a unique birth story with something funny or interesting or remarkable about it. But this one is going to be so boring, probably: 'Mom labored and then he was born. The End.'" I'm happy to say I was wrong. And anyway, I was in the throes of laborland and feeling generally PO'd at everyone and everything at that point, so my feelings of dejection were totally baseless. Every birth story is unique and interesting, at least to other moms. :) (All you non-parents can feel free to just skip the text and look at the pretty pictures.)
So the biggest news is, we made it to the hospital!! Yay!! I knew that Andrew was much smaller than Daniel was, so I figured my labor with him would take a more normal amount of time. Still, there was always the underlying current of mild panic about when exactly we should leave for the hospital, and whether he would be born in the car on the way. This was a neverending source of anxiety for me for weeks leading up to his birth. Thursday morning I woke up feeling... different. I had been woken up a couple times early in the morning by some contractions that felt... different. Very low and tight, and wrapping around to the sides. Not painful yet, but just... different. Thankfully Mr. Pickles was already working from home that day. He had also been leaving for work an hour later each morning that week, just to see how I was feeling before he took off. I was grateful he was already home that day, though. I also felt different that morning. A little more irritable than usual. I finished packing up my suitcase and called a friend (who answered the phone with, "Are you in labor?!?") to see if she would be available to watch the kids in case we had to leave during the day. You see, I expected this labor to go like all my other labors which started in the middle of the night. So I had plans for night time and the early morning, but nothing during the middle of the day! Thankfully my friend was available in the afternoon so we were covered. I had hoped to avoid packing up the kids and dragging them with us on the way to the hospital, but oh well.
We managed to get a little school work done that morning. I did some laundry.  I think I even vacuumed and tidied up. Or maybe that was Wednesday. At any rate, I only had a couple more strong contractions, nothing even timeable. So after lunch I decided to go for a walk to see if I could get things going. I was only out for about 20 minutes, during which I had a couple strong contractions that made me stop and catch my breath. So yeah, that worked. I alerted Mr. Pickles (who was deep in Work Mode) and called my friend to give her a heads-up. The babysitting situation became ridiculously complicated -- we ended up having to drop the kids off at another friend's house b/c the first friend had to be present at a school function until 4:30, but then she picked up the kids and brought them back to her house for dinner, then drove them back to our house where ANOTHER friend would get them ready for bed and stay at the house that night. But she had to leave super-early for work, so yet ANOTHER friend agreed to drive over to our house first thing in the morning to relieve her! My friends are all awesome, to pull together like that last-minute.
Anyway, back to Laborland. I was trying to get the kids packed up and ready to go in between contractions while Mr. Pickles finished working. I even tried to start washing a load of dishes, but after filling up the sink, I realized, "We've got to go. NOW." Earlier that day I had begged my guardian angel to let me know without a doubt when we should leave, and that was my cue. We finally left the house around 3, and at that point my contractions sped up to about every 5-10 minutes. Thankfully there wasn't too much traffic on the roads, so we made good time. When we got to the first sitter's house, we had to remove some carseats and get the kids in the house. Joseph had to be dragged up the steps because he chose that moment to be extra clingy and stubborn. But we finally left and got to the hospital around 4. They showed us into a double room and left us there for what seemed like forever. My contractions didn't stop, for which I was grateful. But that's when I began thinking that this was going to be simply a boring, painful labor with no real Story. Finally a nurse came in and asked us a million questions -- exactly the same ones I had answered less than a week ago (why couldn't they just have kept my file?? no one had developed any major health issues in that time!). When she checked me I was so relieved to learn I was 4cm dilated and completely effaced -- whew! I just wanted to get it over with.
After that they showed us into our actual Labor & Delivery room. It was right next to the nurses' station. They were very noisy. It was good noise though -- lots of laughter and chatter. The nurse started Doing Stuff to me -- I got hooked up to the monitor (how I hate that thing), and then began the Quest for a Vein. Apparently I have very small veins. It took several tries and two nurses before they finally found one they could put an IV in. I felt like a pincushion, but I had to have the IV to get antibiotics since I was GBS+ again. Meanwhile the baby inside was going NUTS in between contractions. He was rolling over and trying to punch his way out sideways, I think. That was encouraging for me though -- I knew he was doing alright during the labor if he could be that active.
Then nothing exciting happened for a while -- just contractions every 4 minutes. I was so grateful for Mr. Pickles at that point -- he faithfully rubbed my lower back with every contraction, which helped ease some of the pressure. By this point it was dinnertime, so Mr. Pickles went down to the cafeteria to grab a bite so he wouldn't pass out. My OB came in and checked me and said things were progressing nicely -- so much so that he said he wouldn't want to break my water at this point for fear of speeding things along too quickly. He gave me permission to get up and walk around -- but I had to stay in the room in case my water broke while I was out of my room and they had to deliver the baby in the hallway. :) So I paced for a while, then Mr. Pickles returned from dinner. And THEN things started getting intense. The contractions got reeeeeally strong and owchie. There's no beating about the bush -- labor just hurts. And transition really sucks. I have no idea how I was able to stay standing while I was going through transition with Daniel -- maybe Andrew was another back labor and that's why it hurt so much. I was curled up on my side, because that's what felt the best, so at least I wasn't on my back. I told Greg that when the time came I wanted to try to deliver on my side -- I had done that with Joseph and hadn't torn. I was really trying to avoid stitches again!
The contractions began double-peaking and I started feeling a mild urge to push. Greg alerted the nurse, who called in the doctor, who checked me and said I was about 8-9 cm dilated with a bulging bag of waters, hence the feeling of wanting to push. He and the nurse took off again, admonishing us to call them when my water broke. Turns out we should have told them to stick around for another 20 minutes! I was now totally in The Zone, curled up, eyes closed, just trying to stay alive pretty much. I began vocalizing because it felt good. Then I got really noisy while the nurse was in the room, but she was totally nonchalant about it. Greg was trying to hint that I was starting to push, so she hurried over and asked if she could reattach the ruddy monitors. I snorted, "Heh, you can TRY," and then attempted to comply while she got maybe one strapped on. Then I rolled back to my side and began pushing in earnest. The rest of the labor was a haze -- I dimly remember someone trying to tell me to lie on my back and Mr. Pickles advocating for me that I wanted to stay on my side. I remember him checking me and calling out, "I see the baby's head!" I remember the nurse paging someone urgently, "I need the doctor and people in here NOW!!" I remember a crowd of people surrounding me, telling me to breathe, and I remember thinking, I AM breathing, go to h-e-double-hockey-sticks! The pushing was really intense. Usually with pushing the contractions slow down and you get to catch your breath in between them, but with Andrew, once I started pushing it was a non-stop roller coaster. I had just enough time to inhale in between each push.  I have no sense of time, but I'm going to hazard a guess that I pushed for probably less than a minute. It might have been longer, but it certainly didn't feel like it.
And then, ah, blessed relief as his head came out! The nurses had to coax me one more time to push the rest of him out onto the bed -- and then, there he was.

dried off, cord cut, and brand spankin' new!
The rest is hazy.  I wish they had let me hold him longer instead of whisking him away so quickly -- the doctor (who finally made it to the room shortly after Andrew delivered himself!) was pushing really hard on my belly afterward to get the placenta to come out right away.  That hurt worse than the actual labor -- I was yelling for that.  He and then the nurse had to do it a few times -- I guess I was bleeding a lot.  They had reattached the IV and were giving me a small dose of pitocin to cramp the uterus back down.  It didn't take long, but I was really annoyed and felt manhandled.  I could have used holding my new baby to distract me.  I wondered if I had been at home what the midwives would have done.

BUT!  I didn't tear!  Hooray, no stitches!


Mommy's little pug dog!
Finally, FINALLY they finished harassing Andrew and me and let us snuggle.  Andrew had THE most amazing pouty face.

Mommy: Oh, thank goodness it's all over!  Andrew: Why are you not feeding me NOW?? 
We got to nurse a couple times -- Andrew figured out the whole eating thing immediately, good man.  Then everyone left us alone for a while to enjoy some peaceful family time, before they moved us into the recovery room.  After Andrew and I were settled, Mr. Pickles headed home for some well-earned rest.


The funniest thing about the whole story is that this is the SECOND time this particular doctor has missed catching one of my babies!  The nurses never listen to Mr. Pickles when he tells them that I'm getting ready to push.  The doctor missed catching Joseph by 10 minutes, because he was still driving to the hospital.  This time he was just down the hallway, and he STILL missed the birth!  Note to hospital staff: listen to the husband, especially if this is their fifth baby!!

Since Andrew was born in the evening, I stayed the full two days, mostly b/c he needed another blood draw 24 hrs. after his birth.  I didn't mind.  I was looking forward to being home, but I enjoyed the peace and the room service and the free movies while I could. :)

I didn't sleep much that first night, even though I was worn out -- we just snuggled and nursed all night long.  It was heavenly.  There is nothing like snuzzling a fuzzy baby head to your cheek in the quiet and the dark, and knowing that he is all yours.

The next morning I felt AWESOME.  I think that's the biggest perk of a natural delivery.  I'm so grateful to have been able to experience that with each of my babies so far.  Yeah, the labor sucks big-time, but it's short (hopefully!) and the recovery is swift.  It felt good to be up and moving.  I changed out of the hospital gown and into a cute new nursing nighty I had found a couple weeks ago.  I showered and pulled my hair back and put on dangly earrings.  When you know you look good (even though you gave birth 12 hrs. previously), you feel good. :)  Daniel got his bath that morning too.

all fresh and fluffy!
Then the rest of the family came!  The hospital staff knew that we had a large family, so they put me in a HUGE recovery room.

The Big Sister Laureate
I LOVE this look on Jojo's face:
AWEsome!  Another player for the boys' team!!

We didn't get a shot of Daniel with the baby -- but I think his first words when he came in the room were, "Baby come out?"  He was happy to see the new baby too, although looking out the window was just as fascinating. :)

We came home Saturday.

I got him a new coming-home outfit -- it is so cozy and cute!
Let the fun begin!

3 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for the great story and pictures! I'm glad you wrote it down now while the memories are fresh and we could enjoy it as if we were there with you. I LOVE the pictures of Andrew and his siblings! Congratulations to you and Mr. Pickles on another job excellently done! God bless you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a pro!!!! I enjoyed reading this story so much. It makes me miss you so much! He is just beautiful! I love him! Congratulations, again. P.S. I agree about placenta delivery...it's the WORSE. Such manhandling! :( -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Thought you might name him Sandy, but Andrew is much more manly. Love the pictures,your family is growing up! Good to have a new little one to join them. Love,
    Aunt Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete